This set of Structural Analysis Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Tributary Areas”.
1. The tributary is an unloaded area. This statement is:-
Explanation: The tributary area is the loaded area of a particular structure directly contributing to the load applied.
2. The tributary area lines between two columns/beams are at how much distance from one of the beam?
a) 0.2 of the total in between length
b) 0.4 of the total in between length
c) 0.5 of the total in between length
d) Depends on the amount of load carried
Explanation: Tributary area is bounded by lines lying halfway from next beam/column, irrespective of load carried.
3. For an interior girder, what is the shape of tributary area?
d) Depends upon case
Explanation: If the girder surrounding the girder in question is similar to it, then it will be a triangle, otherwise it might be trapezium in some cases.
4. What is the maximum no. of structures to which an area can be a tributary are to?
Explanation: A particular area can’t be a tributary area to more than one member of a structure at one time.
5. Which out of the following statements is true?
a) Tributary area > influence area
b) Tributary area <= influence area
c) Tributary area >= influence area
d) No relation can be defined
Explanation: An influence area is always a tributary area. So, tributary area <= influence area.
6. If in an interior beam, adjacent structures are exactly similar then the tributary area is:-
b) Acute triangle
c) Obtuse triangle
d) Right angled triangle
Explanation: Since, the structures are similar; angles of triangle will be 45 and 90 degrees.
7. One area can serve as an influence area to more than one member of a structure at the same time.
State whether the above statement is true or false.
Explanation: Unlike tributary areas influences can serve to more than one as they can affect more than one forces on loaded.
8. When column supports the top floor of a building, then live load reduction is:-
b) Not permitted
c) Depends upon type of beam
d) Depends upon amount of load
Explanation: When column support a floor, it should be thought of as supporting a single floor only.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Structural Analysis.
To practice all areas of Structural Analysis, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.