This set of Structural Analysis Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Beams & Frames Static Indeterminacy”.
1. The number of equilibrium equations for the following space frame is ________
Explanation: There are six equilibrium equations available for space frames are as follows ∑Fx=0, ∑Fy=0, ∑Fz=0, ∑Mx=0, ∑My=0, and ∑Mz = 0.
2. Which of the following is statically determinate structure?
a) Fixed beam
b) Continuous beam
c) Two hinged arch
d) Double overhanging
Explanation: Double overhanging can be analysed by available three equilibrium equations i.e. ∑Fx=0, ∑Fy=0, and ∑M = 0.
3. External Static Indeterminacy of the following beam is _______
Explanation: This is case of vertical loading only. Static indeterminacy = (2+2+1)–2 = 3.
4. External Static Indeterminacy for the following frame is _____
Explanation: Frames are always of General loading case. Static indeterminacy = (3+3)–3=3.
5. External Static Indeterminacy for the following space frame is ________
Explanation: This is space frame. Thus, fixed end will have six reactions and available equilibrium equations are also 6. Therefore, External Static Indeterminacy = (6+6+6+6)-6 = 18.
6. Internal Static Indeterminacy for the following space frame is _____
Explanation: Internal static indeterminacy of space frame = 6 * no of boxes the structure has. Therefore, Internal static indeterminacy = 6*1 = 6.
7. Force release for the following space frame is _____
Explanation: Force release for space frame is given by 3(m-1), where m is the no of member joining at hinged end. Therefore, Force release = 3(3-1) = 3*2 = 6.
8. Static Indterminacy for the following space frame is _____
Explanation: Static Equilibrium = External Static Indeterminacy + Internal static indeterminacy – Internal static indeterminacy. Therefore Static Equilibrium = 18 + 6 – 6 = 18.
9. Static Indeterminacy for rigid jointed plane frame is given by __________
a) (m + r) – 2j
b) (m + r) – 3j
c) (3m + r) -3j
d) (6m + r) – 6j
Explanation: Static Indeterminacy for rigid jointed plane frame is given by (3m + r) -3j. Where m, r and j stands for number of members, reactions and number of joints respectively.
10. Stresses will develop due to change in temperature in statically determinate structure.
Explanation: Stresses will develop due to change in temperature, sinking of support and lack of fit in statically indeterminate structure only.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Structural Analysis.
To practice all areas of Structural Analysis, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!