This set of Structural Analysis Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Analysis of Frames : Sidesway-I”.
AB = 12m, BC = 15m, CD = 18m
Load of 40 kN is acting at joint B as shown.
EI is constant throughout the frame.
All force options are given in KN and all moment options are given in KN-M.
FEM represent fixed end moments.
1. This beam is a non – sway frame.
State whether this statement is true or false.
Explanation: This frame is a sway frame. Members and loading are unsymmetrical.
2. What will be the value of FEMBC?
Explanation: No moment or force is acting on beam BC. The 40KN force will be considered in joint equilibrium.
3. What will be the value of rotation at point A?
Explanation: There won’t be any rotation at point A as it is a fixed support.
4. How many deflection unknowns will be there in this case for which we would need equations?
Explanation: Initially, there will be 3 displacement unknowns, but all but of them will come out to be zero as members are always considered inextensible.
5. How many unknowns will be left finally which is non-zero?
Explanation: Rotation at points B and C and displacement of beam BC will be left finally to be calculated from equations.
6. How many total slope deflection equations will be written in this question?
Explanation: 3 members are there and non joint has a zero moment, so there will be 6 sde equations.
7. What will be the FEMAB ?
Explanation: No load is acting on the member AB and same goes for member CD.
8. Which of the following set of points should be chosen to generate extra equations?
a) A and B
b) B and C
c) C and D
d) D and A
Explanation: All unknown will come in account if we conserve moment about points B and C.
9. What will be the value of shear in beam AB?
a) mBA + mAB/12
b) mBA + mCB/12
c) mBA + mBC/12
d) mAB + mBC/12
Explanation: Separate out the beam AB and conserve moment about any one of the ends.
10. What will be the value of shear in beam CD?
a) mBA + mCA/12
b) mBA + mCB/18
c) mBA + mBC/18
d) mCD + mDC/18
Explanation: Separate out the beam CD and conserve moment about any one of the ends.
11. What will be the value of rotation at point B?
Explanation: On solving all the three equations obtained above simultaneously, we will get the answer.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Structural Analysis.
To practice all areas of Structural Analysis, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.