This set of Structural Analysis Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Analysis of Frames : Sidesway-I”.
AB = 12m, BC = 15m, CD = 18m
Load of 40 kN is acting at joint B as shown.
EI is constant throughout the frame.
All force options are given in KN and all moment options are given in KN-M.
FEM represent fixed end moments.
1. This beam is a non – sway frame.
State whether this statement is true or false.
Explanation: This frame is a sway frame. Members and loading are unsymmetrical.
2. What will be the value of FEMBC?
Explanation: No moment or force is acting on beam BC. The 40KN force will be considered in joint equilibrium.
3. What will be the value of rotation at point A?
Explanation: There won’t be any rotation at point A as it is a fixed support.
4. How many deflection unknowns will be there in this case for which we would need equations?
Explanation: Initially, there will be 3 displacement unknowns, but all but of them will come out to be zero as members are always considered inextensible.
5. How many unknowns will be left finally which is non-zero?
Explanation: Rotation at points B and C and displacement of beam BC will be left finally to be calculated from equations.
6. How many total slope deflection equations will be written in this question?
Explanation: 3 members are there and non joint has a zero moment, so there will be 6 sde equations.
7. What will be the FEMAB ?
Explanation: No load is acting on the member AB and same goes for member CD.
8. Which of the following set of points should be chosen to generate extra equations?
a) A and B
b) B and C
c) C and D
d) D and A
Explanation: All unknown will come in account if we conserve moment about points B and C.
9. What will be the value of shear in beam AB?
a) mBA + mAB/12
b) mBA + mCB/12
c) mBA + mBC/12
d) mAB + mBC/12
Explanation: Separate out the beam AB and conserve moment about any one of the ends.
10. What will be the value of shear in beam CD?
a) mBA + mCA/12
b) mBA + mCB/18
c) mBA + mBC/18
d) mCD + mDC/18
Explanation: Separate out the beam CD and conserve moment about any one of the ends.
11. What will be the value of rotation at point B?
Explanation: On solving all the three equations obtained above simultaneously, we will get the answer.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Structural Analysis.
To practice all areas of Structural Analysis, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!