Pre-requisite / Skillset for Strength of Materials Internship
1. Intern must have the ability to evaluate the basic concepts of stresses and strains for different materials and strength of structural elements.
2. Able to evaluate the development of internal forces and resistance mechanism for one dimensional and two dimensional structural elements.
3. Should have the ability to analyse different internal forces and stresses induced due to representative loads on structural elements.
4. Must be able to evaluate slope and deflections of beams.
5. Should be capable of evaluating the behaviour of torsion members, columns and struts.
6. Require knowledge on the basic concepts of the stresses and strains for different materials and strength of structural elements.
7. Must be familiar with the development of internal forces and resistance mechanism for one dimensional and two dimensional structural elements.
8. Must be familiar with the stresses developed in bars, compounds bars, beams, shafts, cylinders and spheres.
9. Should critically analyse problem and solve the problems related to structural elements and analyse the deformation behaviour for different types of loads.
10. Should be familiar with the concept of stress and strain under different conditions of loading.
11. Ability to determine the stresses and strains in the members subjected to axial, bending and torsional loads.
12. Able to apply the concepts of stresses and strain in solving problems related to springs, column and pressure vessels.
13. Should be able to calculate the slope, deflection and buckling of loaded members.
14. Able to analyze the stresses developed in straight and curved beams of different cross sections.
15. Able to apply mathematical knowledge to calculate the deformation behaviour of simple structures.
Strength of Materials Internship Test
Intern has to take Strength of Materials internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Strength of Materials topic.
1. Some structural members subjected to a long time sustained loads deform progressively with time especially at elevated temperatures. What is such a phenomenon called?
(C) Creep relaxation
Explanation: Creep is the deformation progressively with time. It comes when the body is subjected to long time load. After the instant deflection due to load, the deformation occurs slowly with time.
2. What the number that measures an object’s resistance to being deformed elastically when stress is applied to it?
(A) Elastic modulus
(B) Plastic modulus
(C) Poisson’s ratio
(D) Stress modulus
Explanation: The elastic modulus is the ratio of stress to strain.
3. Highest value of stress for which Hooke’s law is applicable for a given material is called ____________
(A) Stress limit
(B) Strain limit
(C) Proportional limit
(D) Significant limit
Explanation: The hooke’s law is valid only when the stress is proportional to the strain, that is only in the proportionality limit.
4. Where is the necking region?
(A) The area between lower yield point and upper yield point
(B) The area between the plastic limit and elastic limit
(C) The area between the ultimate point and initial point
(D) The area between the ultimate point and rupture
Explanation: Necking is a tensile strain deformation which is cased in after the ultimate amount of stress occurs in the material.
5. Which one of the following pairs is NOT correctly matched?
(A) Visco-elastic – small plastic zone
(B) Orthotropic material – different properties in three perpendicular directions
(C) Strain hardening material – stiffening effect felt at some stage
(D) Isotropic material – same physical property in all directions at a point
Explanation: Visco-elastic material exhibit a mixture of creep and elastic after effects at room temperature. Thus their behaviour is time dependent. Materials with different properties in different directions are called anisotropic. Orthotropic material is a special case of an anisotropic material in three mutually perpendicular directions. However, these are symmetric about any axis.
Practice the full set of Strength of Materials Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Strength of Materials Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Strength of Materials Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Strength of Materials Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Strength of Materials, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Strength of Materials subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Strength of Materials".
2. Strength of Materials articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Strength of Materials Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Strength of Materials Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Strength of Materials Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Strength of Materials" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Strength of Materials InternshipIf you are looking for "Strength of Materials" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Strength of Materials, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Strength of Materials InternshipWho can apply for Strength of Materials content writing internship?
Students who had studied Strength of Materials in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Strength of Materials.
What are the skill sets required for Strength of Materials internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Strength of Materials internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Strength of Materials Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Strength of Materials?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Strength of Materials?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Strength of Materials. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Strength of Materials internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Strength of Materials at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
If you are an international student and have a bank account in India, then you can apply. Kindly note that we are currently not authorized to pay the stipend in foreign currencies, so you must have bank accounts in India to receive the stipend.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]