This set of Software Engineering Question Bank focuses on “Decomposition Techniques in Software Project Planning”.
1. Why is decomposition technique required?
a) Software project estimation is a form of problem solving
b) Developing a cost and effort estimate for a software project is too complex
c) All of the mentioned
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: For these reasons, we decompose the problem, re-characterizing it as a set of smaller problems.
2. Cost and effort estimation of a software uses only one forms of decomposition, either decomposition of the problem or decomposition of the process.
Explanation: Estimation uses one or both forms of partitioning.
3. If a Direct approach to software project sizing is taken, size can be measured in
c) LOC and FP
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: LOC or Line of Code is a direct measure to estimate project size.
4. Which software project sizing approach develop estimates of the information domain characteristics?
a) Function point sizing
b) Change sizing
c) Standard component sizing
d) Fuzzy logic sizing
5. The expected value for the estimation variable (size), S, can be computed as a weighted average of the optimistic(Sopt), most likely (Sm), and pessimistic (Spess) estimates given as
a) EV = (Sopt + 4Sm + Spess)/4
b) EV = (Sopt + 4Sm + Spess)/6
c) EV = (Sopt + 2Sm + Spess)/6
d) EV = (Sopt + 2Sm + Spess)/4
Explanation: This assumes that there is a very small probability that the actual size result will fall outside the optimistic or pessimistic values.
6. How many forms exists of Barry Boehm’s COCOMO Model?
d) No form exists
Explanation: The three forms include the basic, intermediate and advanced COCOMO model.
7. Who suggested the four different approaches to the sizing problem?
d) Putnam and Myers
8. In many cases, it is often more cost-effective to acquire, rather than develop, computer software.
Explanation: Managers are faced with a make-buy decision in such situations.
9. A make-buy decision is based on whether
a) The software may be purchased off-the-shelf
b) “Full-experience” or “Partial-experience” software components should be used
c) Customer-built software should be developed
d) All of the mentioned
10. Which of the following is not one of the five information domain characteristics of Function Point (FP) decomposition?
a) External inputs
b) External outputs
c) External process
d) External inquiries
Explanation: External inputs, external outputs, external inquiries, internal logical files, external interface files are the five domains.
11. The project planner must reconcile the estimates based on decomposition techniques to produce a single estimate of effort.
Explanation: The planner must determine the cause of divergence and then reconcile the estimates.
12. Programming language experience is a part of which factor of COCOMO cost drivers?
a) Personnel Factor
b) Product Factor
c) Platform Factor
d) Project Factor
13. If an Indirect approach is taken, then the sizing approach is represented as
c) Fuzzy Logic
d) LOC and FP
Explanation: A function point (FP) is a unit of measurement to express the amount of business functionality an information system provides to a user.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Software Engineering.