This set of Software Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Application Architectures”.
1. Which of the following examples is/are models of application architectures?
a) a means of assessing components for reuse
b) a design checklist
c) a vocabulary for talking about types of applications
d) all of the mentioned
Explanation: Application architectures encapsulate the principal characteristics of a class of systems.
2. ERP stands for
a) Enterprise Research Planning
b) Enterprise Resource Planning
c) Enterprise Resource Package
d) Enterprise Research Package
3. Which of the following type describes application architectures?
a) Transaction processing applications
b) Language processing systems
c) Client management systems
d) Transaction processing applications and Language processing systems
Explanation: Transaction processing applications are database-centered applications that process user requests for information and update the information in a database, while language processing systems are systems in which the user’s intentions are expressed in a formal language.
4. All the operations in a transaction need to be completed before the database changes are made ________
b) available to the users
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: This ensures that failure of operations within the transaction does not lead to inconsistencies in the database.
5. Systems that involve interaction with a shared database can be considered as.
Explanation: Such systems with a shared database are also referred to as transaction based information systems.
6. What translates a natural or an artificial language into another representation of that language and, for programming languages also execute the resulting code?
a) ERP systems
b) Transaction-based information systems
c) Language processing systems
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: In software engineering, compilers translate an artificial programming language into machine code.
7. Properties of a system such as performance and security are independent of the architecture used.
Explanation: Properties such as performance, security, and availability are influenced by the architecture used.
8. Which of the following is/are commonly used architectural pattern(s)?
b) Layered Architecture
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Commonly used architectural patterns include Model-View-Controller, Layered Architecture, Repository, Client–server, and Pipe and Filter.
9. A language-processing systems may translate an XML data description into
a) a machine code
b) an alternative XML representation
c) machine code and alternative XML representation
d) a software module
Explanation: Such is the property and function of language processing system.
10. Transaction processing systems may be organized as a _________ architecture with system components responsible for input, processing, and output.
d) Pipe and Filter
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Software Engineering.