This set of Software Defined Radio Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Architecture Evolution”.
1. ______ has many single- purpose radios in one structure.
a) SPEAKeasy – 2
b) Modular multifunctional information transfer system (MMITS)
c) Integrated communications, navigation, and identification architecture (ICNIA)
d) Cluster HMS
Explanation: ICNIA design consists of many single-purpose radios in one structure. However the modern Software Defined Radio behaves as a general purpose device generating different waveforms at different frequencies using the same radio tuner and processors.
2. Which was the first Software Defined Radio that included a programmable voice coder?
a) SPEAKeasy – 1
b) SPEAKeasy – 2
d) Cluster HMS
Explanation: SPEAKeasy – 2 was an appropriately sized radio with features such as programmable voice coder, DSP resources to support different waveforms.
3. When was SDR forum found?
Explanation: The SDR forum was found in 1996 by Wayne Bonser of Air Force Rome Lab to develop industry standards for SDR hardware and software.
4. Which protocol is used to control Digital Modular Radio over Ethernet?
Explanation: A Digital Modular Radio has four channels with full duplex communication. It is controlled over an Ethernet interface which uses Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
5. Which of the following does not extend from military application to commercial application?
a) Carrier Sense Multiple Access
b) Frequency Hopping
c) Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum
d) Emitter Location
Explanation: Frequency hopping, direct sequence spread spectrum, demand-assigned multiple access, variable data rates are some techniques which have extend from military application to commercial application.
6. Military applications need __________ in addition to mobile subscriber sets.
a) fixed infrastructure
b) mobile infrastructure
c) partitioned infrastructure
d) parted infrastructure
Explanation: Commercial applications are supported by fixed infrastructure such as cell phone towers and base stations. However such facilities are not available for military application. Thus, a mobile infrastructure is required.
7. Which of the following is not a standard body that involves in inter networking?
Explanation: ITU, ISO, ETSI, ARIB, IEEE, TIA, and ANSI are the standard bodies overlooking inter networking. VSO is a standard body that monitors bus/backplane hardware.
8. Which of the following is not a key parameter of information services in military application?
d) Timeliness (QQT)
Explanation: Quantity, quality, timeliness (QQT), and suitability are the key parameters of information services in military application.
9. Quantity is measured in terms of ________
b) link availability
c) peak data rate
Explanation: Quantity is measured in terms of two factors. One is the number of different communication mode present in the software radio. The other is the peak and average data rates available to the subscribers.
10. Which of the following is not directed by Air Interface Standards?
a) Channel modulation
c) Frequency allocation
d) Access protocols
Explanation: Channel modulation, frequency allocation and access protocols are few air interface standards. They affect interoperability over the air.
11. What does cost effectiveness mean in terms of military requirements?
a) Backward compatibility
b) Cheap replacement of existing radios
c) Futuristic design
d) Fast replacement of existing radios
Explanation: Cost effectiveness means the new design must be able to communicate with previous versions of radios. The design must be compatible with radios which are meeting the end of their lifetime.
12. Which of the following is not an advanced requirement in terms of Software Defined Radio?
a) Adaptive networks
b) Adaptive diversity
d) Innovation signaling
Explanation: Adaptive networks, adaptive diversity, transparent bridging, channel modeling, innovation signaling are some advanced functional needs of SDR. These techniques can elevate the quality of voice, data and wireless services.
13. Timeliness is the period between production of information and its availability to the subscriber.
Explanation: Timeliness is one of key parameters of military applications. Timeliness is the period between production of information and its availability to the subscriber. Process and queuing delays increase the duration of this period.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Software Defined Radio.
To practice all areas of Software Defined Radio, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Cognitive Radio
- Participate in Cognitive Radio Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Cognitive Radio
- Take Cognitive Radio Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10