This set of Railway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Traffic Survey”.
1. What type of conditions are studied in Traffic survey of an area?
Explanation: After preliminary investigation the first type of survey done is Traffic survey. This tells the traffic density which is to be carried by the locomotive. Various features of the rail line are proposed based on the results of the Traffic survey.
2. Which among the following is not a function of Traffic survey?
a) Determination of best route for railway
b) To determine the probable traffic the rail line will have to carry
c) To decide the standard of Rail line
d) To determine the curvature of the turns
Explanation: Traffic surveys are done to estimate the traffic that the railway will carry. Based on that the standard of rail line and alignment is decided. It has nothing to do with the determination of curvature or gradient.
3. Traffic surveys are done independently without any consideration of Reconnaissance or Preliminary surveys.
Explanation: Traffic surveys are done in correspondence with Reconnaissance or Preliminary survey. This helps in knowing the technical feasibility and relative costs of different proposals. The best option can be selected after considering all these factors.
4. The team conducting survey must visit the state government, prominent businessmen, and Local bodies and then propose the suitable ______ of the new rail line.
Explanation: The new line should be beneficial for all the trade centres, citizens and businessmen of that area. It should not impact the development of that area negatively. Thus the best alignment should be chosen after consulting the government, local bodies and other prominent people.
5. While doing Traffic survey of an area, information should be gathered on which topics?
a) Only on the existing traffic facilities
b) Human resources and existing traffic facilities
c) Only on the pattern of trade and commerce
d) On existing traffic facilities, human resources and pattern of trade and commerce
Explanation: The traffic survey must tell about the total traffic the train is expected to carry. Thus it should consider all the factors which may contribute to the traffic of the new rail line.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Railway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Railway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.