This set of Railway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Other Fittings and Fastenings”.
1. For which type of concrete sleepers Stem type MCI is used?
a) Post tension concrete
b) Pre tension concrete
c) Post compression concrete
d) Pre compression concrete
Explanation: Stem type MCI inserts are used in pre tension concrete sleepers. Gate type MCI inserts are used in post tension concrete sleepers.
2. Which among the following is used between rails and sleepers to absorb shocks, resist lateral movement of rails and provide electrical insulation between rails?
a) Spring steel clips
b) CI anti creep bearing plate
c) Rubber pads
d) Spring steel loose jaw
Explanation: Rubber pad is provided between rails and sleepers. Spring steel is an elastic fastening. CI anti creep bearing plates and spring loose jaws are used as fastenings in wooden and steel trough sleepers respectively.
3. Which of the following can be present in the composite liners developed by the RDSO?
a) Malleable cast iron
b) Mild Steel
c) Malleable cast iron or Mild Steel
Explanation: Two types of composite liners are developed by the RDSO. One is with malleable cast iron and nylon components and second composite liner with MS and nylon components.
4. What is the reason behind the breaking of GFN-66 liners?
a) Rusting of rail surface
b) Uneven seating
c) Rusting of rail surface and uneven seating
d) Improper design
Explanation: GFN-66 liners have high chances of breaking when they are fitted with ERC clip assembly on concrete sleepers. The primary reasons are uneven seating and rusting of rail surface.
5. What is an elastic fastening called which is easy to fit in but difficult to remove?
a) Pilfer proof elastic fastening
b) Proof elastic fastening
c) Circlip proof elastic fastening
d) Pandrol clip elastic fastening
Explanation: Pilfer proof elastic fastening is easy to fit in the arrangement but cannot be removed effortlessly without causing damage to the assembly. The design of this fastening consists of a fitting called pilfer proof circlip.
6. The pilfer proof circlip is generally used to restrain the axial movements of the components mounted on shafts.
Explanation: The circlip is a standard mechanical component manufactured according to IS specifications. It is usually used for restricting axial movements of the components which are mounted on shafts.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Railway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Railway Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.