Pre-requisite / Skillset for Railway Engineering Internship
1. Intern must have an idea about various terminology of railway engineering.
2. Ability to design railway track geometrically.
3. Purpose and type of signals in railways should be known.
4. Knowledge of tunneling and different layouts.
5. Should be familiar with the concepts of components of a permanent way and its functions, rails, sleepers, ballast, formation, rail fittings and fastenings.
6. Understanding the concepts of comparison of roadways and railways.
7. Must be aware of the necessity of geometric design of a railway track, gradient and grade compensation on curves.
8. Should be familiar with the classifications of stations, way side, junction, terminal – platforms: passenger platform, length and width of passenger platform, super elevation.
9. Should have knowledge on concept of types of station yards, passenger, goods, marshalling and locomotive, station equipments.
10. Must be able to determine the necessity of points and crossings, turnouts, left hand turnout, right hand turnout, types of points / switch, stub, split switch.
11. Should be familiar with engineering surveys for track alignment and GIS, GPS and RS applications, track alignment considerations.
Railway Engineering Internship Test
Intern has to take Railway Engineering internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Railway Engineering topic.
1. What is the effect of increasing the gauge distance?
(A) Increases the stability of the train
(B) Decreases the stability of the train
(C) Decreases the cost of construction
(D) Decreases the speed of the train
Explanation: A broader gauge increases the speed and stability of the train. The cost of construction is also increased.
2. On whose recommendation the broad gauge was introduced in India?
(A) Mountbatten recommendation
(B) Warren Hastings recommendation
(C) W. Simms recommendation
(D) Dalhousie recommendation
Explanation: The East India Company wanted to introduce Standard gauge of size 1435 mm in India. But, W. Simms who was the consulting engineer to the Government of India challenged this proposal and recommended a wider gauge of 1676 mm.
3. The operating cost per tonne per km _______ with increase in gauge width.
(D) Neither increase nor decrease
Explanation: If a wider gauge is provided, the operating cost per tonne per km decreases as more number of passengers can travel and more number of goods can be transported in a single journey.
4. If there is more than one type of gauge present in a rail route, the journey time ______
(C) Remains same
(D) Depends on the climate
Explanation: If more than one type of gauge is encountered in a rail route then problems due to change of gauge occurs. The passengers will need to transfer their luggage to another train causing the delay. Hence, more time will be taken to complete the journey.
5. If a uniform gauge is chosen throughout the country, the transport bottlenecks will ______
(C) Remain same
(D) Depends on speed of train
Explanation: A transport bottleneck means disruption in the traffic movement of vehicles. In Railways, this would refer to “Break of Gauge” points. So, if a uniform gauge is chosen throughout the country, the transport bottlenecks will reduce.
Practice the full set of Railway Engineering Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Railway Engineering Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Railway Engineering Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Railway Engineering Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Railway Engineering, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Railway Engineering subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Railway Engineering".
2. Railway Engineering articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Railway Engineering Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Railway Engineering Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Railway Engineering Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Railway Engineering" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Railway Engineering InternshipIf you are looking for "Railway Engineering" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Railway Engineering, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Railway Engineering InternshipWho can apply for Railway Engineering content writing internship?
Students who had studied Railway Engineering in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Railway Engineering.
What are the skill sets required for Railway Engineering internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Railway Engineering internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Railway Engineering Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Railway Engineering?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Railway Engineering?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Railway Engineering. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Railway Engineering internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Railway Engineering at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
If you are an international student and have a bank account in India, then you can apply. Kindly note that we are currently not authorized to pay the stipend in foreign currencies, so you must have bank accounts in India to receive the stipend.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]