This set of Pulp and Paper Multiple Choice Questions and Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Lithography”.
1. Lithography was invented by __________ in 1798.
a) Alois Senefelder
b) John Denver
c) Billy Armstrong
d) Manuel Neuer
Explanation: Alois Senefelder in 1798 invented lithography. The original method utilized sandstone rock upon which an image was made using a thick, greasy material.
2. The surface is treated with a __________ that is soaked into the image area, but avoided the H2O treated, non-image area.
a) Polar ink
b) Non-polar ink
c) Silk screen
d) Pressure screen
Explanation: The surface is treated with a non-polar ink (oil, wax, soap, and carbon soot) that soaked into the image area, but avoided the H2O treated, non-image area. Some of the ink from the message is dissolved in the least possible amount of a suitable solvent, and that’s also spotted onto the same line.
3. The H2O solution utilised to prevent printing in the non-print areas is called the __________
a) Laser solution
b) Electrophotocopy solution
c) Fountain solution
d) Dye solution
Explanation: The dampening system on a lithographic sheet fed press applies a H2O-based dampening or fountain solution to the printing plate before it is inked. Dampening solutions keep the non-image areas of a plate moistened so that they would not accept ink.
4. Laser printing method is sometimes called planographic printing since the image and non-image areas are in the same plane.
Explanation: Lithography method is sometimes called planographic printing since the image and non-image areas are in the same plane. Planographic denotes a printing process in which the printing surface is flat, as in lithography.
5. The system utilised to apply the H2O solution to the plate surface is called the __________
a) Dissociating system
b) Dampening system
c) H2O hating system
Explanation: It makes the non image area hydrophilic and leaves the image area hydrophobic [H2O hating, but non polar ink loving (oleophilic)]. It’s the system that transfers a water-based fountain solution to the printing plate as a means of making non-image areas ink repellent.
6. The plate surface is often a thin __________ plate wrapped tightly around a cylinder. Every time the cylinder rotates, a copy can be made.
Explanation: Bimetallic plates are made using 2 metals of different properties. Aluminium (Al) is the 3rd most abundant element in the Earth’s crust.
7. Most lithography is carried out as offset printing; the image on the ink plate is transferred to a rubber sheet and from the blanket to the paper.
Explanation: Ink is applied to a grease-treated image upon the flat printing surface. Most lithography is carried out in a way that the image on the ink plate is transferred offset to a rubber sheet the blanket and from the blanket to the paper as opposed to direct printing.
8. The __________ balance in offset lithographic printing is critical. Also, the utilization of the dampening system complicates the press and its operation and adds to its initial cost.
Explanation: The flat printing surface and blank areas which hold moisture repels the lithographic ink. This inked surface is then printed, either directly on paper, by means of a special press.
9. __________ must be designed especially for this system to be effective; the principal difference is that the __________ vehicle that’s selected must give suitable rheological properties such as a fairly high viscosity.
Explanation: It’s a liquid or paste that contains pigments or dyes and is utilized to color a surface to produce an image, text, or design. Ink is utilized for drawing or writing with a pen, brush, orquill.
10. Dot gain in the mid tones is said to be about __________ lower than with conventional lithography.
Explanation: Most offset presses can be converted to a H2O less printing by adding an ink cooling system and using the appropriate plates and inks. Dot gain in the mid tones is said to be about 30% lower than with conventional lithography.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pulp and Paper.
To practice all areas of Pulp and Paper, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!