This set of Pulp and Paper Multiple Choice Questions and Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fiber Analysis”.
1. It is fundamental that the properties on paper depend on the fiber properties and the method of fiber preparation.
Explanation: Correlations between fibre and paper properties are hard to find, but this doesn’t mean that correlations don’t exist. Fibre properties, calculated by the pulp analyser Pulp Eye, were investigated and correlations to paper properties were studied.
2. It is not crucial to have authentic fiber samples of contributing species on hand for comparison with unknown samples.
Explanation: It’s crucial to have authentic fiber samples of contributing species on hand for comparison samples.
3. When attempting quantitative analysis of fiber mixtures, the number of a particular type of fiber is multiplied by its ________ since some types of fibers appear to be present in larger amounts than others.
a) Weight factor
b) Charge factor
c) Lignin factor
d) Ray cross factor
Explanation: The statistical weight is the relative probability of a particular feature of a state. If the energy is ΔE, the statistical weight could be calc. by the Boltzmann factor.
4. ________ is very utilized in the determination of isolated fibers.
Explanation: A void in the wall of a plant cell where there is no secondary wall, as in fibers, tracheids, and vessel elements. However, one must keep in mind that pulping operations and refining are bound to affect the way a pit looks under the microscope.
5. Ray cross—field pitting shows whether ray parenchyma and or tracheids are present; it also indicates the ________
a) Length of the rays
b) Height of the rays
c) Wavelength of the rays
d) Frequency of the rays
Explanation: Intervessel pitting of hardwoods and ray cross—field pitting in softwoods are the principal means of identification. The presence of ray parenchyma and or tracheids indicates the height of the rays.
6. Chemical stains could help with the analysis by concluding the type of pulping method utilized to generate the fiber which is crucial in ________ that might have some recycled newsprint.
a) White paper
b) Brown paper
c) Non-Recyclable paper
d) Red paper
Explanation: Staining is an auxiliary technique utilized in microscopy to enhance contrast in the microscopic image. Stains and dyes are frequently utilized in biology and medicine to highlight structures in biological tissues for observing, often with the aid of diff. microscopes.
7. ________ is utilized to detect the presence of starch, which could be present in sapwood but not heartwood or in paper such as in the detection of forged currency.
Explanation: The iodine test is utilized to test for the presence of starch. When treated with IKI solution—iodine dissolved in an aqueous solution of potassium iodide—the tri-iodide anion complexes with starch, producing an intense blue colour.
Explanation: Phloroglucinol is generally supplied as an alcoholic solution Treat the sections with this stain and then acidify the preparation with a drop of concentratedd hydrochloric acid.
9. Mechanical softwood and ________ are diff.iated with the utilize of 2 percent aniline sulfate made acidic followed by 0.02 percent methylene blue after removal of the first dye by blotting
Explanation: Mechanical softwood and hardwoods are diff.iated with the utilize of 2% aniline sulfate made acidic 1 drop concentrated H2SO4 / 50mL followed by 0.02% methylene blue after removal of the first dye by blotting. Softwoods are yellow and hardwoods are bluish green.
10. Mechanical pulp bleached with dithionite no more than a few months old is calculated by detecting traces of __________ as H2S liberated by stannous chloride.
Explanation: In contrast to H2O2, which oxidizes the chromophores, dithionite decrementing these color-cautilizing groups. Dithionite reacts with O2, so efficient utilize of dithionite requires that O2 exposure be minimized during its utilize. Several stains are available to calculate the level of bleaching or cooking of pulps, such as Bright stain.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Pulp and Paper.
To practice all areas of Pulp and Paper, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Apply for Chemical Engineering Internship
- Buy Chemical Engineering Books
- Apply for Pulp & Paper Internship
- Practice Chemical Engineering MCQs