This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “ASynthetic Fuels, Biomass and Thermodynamic View”.
1. Production of producer gas from coke requires _____________ moles of nitrogen.
2. Which of the following mode is not used to liquefy coal?
b) catalytic conversion
c) hydro pyrolysis
d) coal gasification
Explanation: In coal gasification, coal is gasified in a situ and the gas is conveyed to the surface. The other processes are methods of coal liquefaction.
3. What are the first products in Fischer-Tropsch process?
b) CO2 +H2
c) Coke + H2O
Explanation: The first products in Fischer-Tropsch process are carbon monoxide and hydrogen.
4. ____________ prohibits the use of alcohols directly in petrol engines.
a) high cost and availability
b) low octane number
c) low flash point
d) low calorific value
Explanation: High cost is the reason for no use of alcohols in petrol engines.
5. Which of these is not a form of bioconversion route?
a) direct combustion
c) thermochemical conversion
d) biochemical conversion
Explanation: Fermentation is a breakdown of complex molecules in organic compounds. It is a type of biochemical conversion.
6. Which of these is a product of pyrolysis process in dry thermochemical conversion?
d) pyrolytic oils
Explanation: Pyrolytic oils, gas and char are the products of pyrolysis process.
7. Which of these is an important measure of performance in for a power plant?
Explanation: NPHR- net plant heat rate is the most important measure of performance for power plant. AP-auxillary power NTO-net turbine output NTHR-net turbine heat rate.
8. The overall efficiency of a power plant is given by __________
Explanation: The overall efficiency of a power plant is given by ɳ = 3600/NPHR.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.