This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “ASynthetic Fuels, Biomass and Thermodynamic View”.
1. Production of producer gas from coke requires _____________ moles of nitrogen.
2. Which of the following mode is not used to liquefy coal?
b) catalytic conversion
c) hydro pyrolysis
d) coal gasification
Explanation: In coal gasification, coal is gasified in a situ and the gas is conveyed to the surface. The other processes are methods of coal liquefaction.
3. What are the first products in Fischer-Tropsch process?
b) CO2 +H2
c) Coke + H2O
Explanation: The first products in Fischer-Tropsch process are carbon monoxide and hydrogen.
4. ____________ prohibits the use of alcohols directly in petrol engines.
a) high cost and availability
b) low octane number
c) low flash point
d) low calorific value
Explanation: High cost is the reason for no use of alcohols in petrol engines.
5. Which of these is not a form of bioconversion route?
a) direct combustion
c) thermochemical conversion
d) biochemical conversion
Explanation: Fermentation is a breakdown of complex molecules in organic compounds. It is a type of biochemical conversion.
6. Which of these is a product of pyrolysis process in dry thermochemical conversion?
d) pyrolytic oils
Explanation: Pyrolytic oils, gas and char are the products of pyrolysis process.
7. Which of these is an important measure of performance in for a power plant?
Explanation: NPHR- net plant heat rate is the most important measure of performance for power plant. AP-auxillary power NTO-net turbine output NTHR-net turbine heat rate.
8. The overall efficiency of a power plant is given by __________
Explanation: The overall efficiency of a power plant is given by ɳ = 3600/NPHR.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!