This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Rankine Cycle and Carnot Cycle”.
1. Ideal ‘Rankine Cycle’ is a __________ process.
c) Both of the mentioned
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Ideal Rankine Cycle is a reversible process.
2. For analytical purposes, the Rankine Cycle is assumed to be in?
a) Unsteady flow operation
b) Turbulent flow operation
c) Steady flow operation
d) Laminar flow operation
Explanation: For analytical purposes , always steady flow operation is considered, as in unsteady flow, the various fluid properties vary considerably which remain same when the steady flow operation is assumed.
3. The net work done in a Rankine Cycle is the difference of?
a) Condenser work & Boiler work
b) Boiler work & Pump work
c) Turbine Work & Pump work
d) Condenser work & Pump work
Explanation: The net work done in a Rankine Cycle is given by,
Wnet = Wt – Wp.
4. In a Rankine Cycle, heat input is provided to?
Explanation: As the heating of the liquid working fluid occurs in the Boiler, the heat input is provided to the Boiler for the same.
5. In a Rankine Cycle, heat output is obtained from?
Explanation: As the heated water comes to the condenser, it loses its heat & gets condensed. The heat output is obtained from Condenser.
6. The water that flows from the Pump is?
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: The water flowing through the pump is incompressible so as to extract work from the turbine.
7. Steam Rate is the reciprocal of _________
a) Net work done
b) Heat extracted from condenser
c) Heat given to reciprocal
d) Work done by turbine.
Explanation: Steam Rate is given by,
Steam Rate = 1/Wnet.
8. Which of these is sometimes neglected?
a) Turbine work
b) Pump work
c) Condenser heat
d) Boiler heat
Explanation: Pump Work is very small as compared to Turbine Work & so is often neglected.
9. Efficiency of a Rankine Cycle is also expressed as__________
a) Capacity Ratio
b) Heat Rate
c) Heat Ratio
d) Steam Rate
Explanation: The relation between Heat Rate & Efficiency is,
Heat Rate = Efficiency of a Rankine Cycle.
10. Steam Power Plants are more popular in electric power generation because
a) Work output of turbine is very large than work input to the pump
b) Work output of turbine is very small than work input to the pump
c) Work output of turbine is equal to work input to the pump
d) None of the mentioned.
Explanation: In a Steam Power Plant, the positive difference of turbine work & pump work makes it useful in electricity generation.
11. The most common type of Evaporator is?
a) Flooded Evaporator
b) Plate Evaporator
c) Coil Evaporator
d) Brine Evaporator
Explanation: The most common type is a coil winding on a plate & so the name ‘plate evaporator’.
12. In Rankine Cycle, water is converted to saturated liquid in ___________
Explanation: The saturation of water occurs in an Economizer in a Rankine Cycle.
13. If Evaporator & Condenser pressures are p & q, the intercooler pressure P is given as?
Explanation: The relation between Intercooler pressure, Evaporator & Condenser is,
P = (pq)(1/2).
14. Phase change at constant pressure takes place in?
Explanation: Superheater undergoes a change in phase at constant pressure.
15. Which of these factors don’t cause Internal Irreversibility of a Rankine cycle?
c) Fluid Friction
d) Fluid flow
Explanation: The Rankine cycle is an Irreversible cycle. For a cycle to be irreversible naturally throttling, mixing & friction in fluids are the factors that cause this Irreversibility.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.