This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Magnetohydrodynamic Power Generation – I”.
1. In an open cycle MHD-steam power plant, the temperature at the entrance of MHD duct is (in K)
Explanation: The temperature is kept in between 2500-3000K.
2. The air at the entrance of MHD duct is seeded with potasium upto
Explanation: The air is seeded upto 1%/.
3. Air pollution in an MHD-steam power plant is caused due to the formation of which of the following compounds?
a) oxides and hydroxides
b) chlorides and hydroxides
c) oxides and carbonates
d) carbonates and bicarbonates
Explanation: Oxides and hydroxides of seeding element formed cause air pollution.
4. Which of the following device helps in recovery of seeding element?
a) ion precipitator
c) electrostatic precipitator
d) orsat’s apparatus
Explanation: Electrostatic precipitator helps in recovery of the seed.
5. In closed cycle MHD-steam power plant, which of the following gas is seeded in the MHD duct?
c) sodium vapour
Explanation: Helium is seeded in the air.
6. Where is the input of the MHD duct heated in a closed cycle MHD-steam power plant?
a) blast furnace
b) nuclear reactor
c) reverabatory furnace
d) combustion chamber
Explanation: The seed is heated in the nuclear reactor.
7. Which of these materials not used for MHD duct walls?
a) magnesium oxide
b) strontium zirconate
d) manganese zirconate
Explanation: The other three materials are used for MHD duct walls.
8. To reduce the power consumption of electromagnets, which type of coils have been suggested?
b) high temperature resistant
Explanation: Cryogenic or superconductiong coils have been suggested for reducing power consumption of electromagnets.
9. Which is the only fuel better than coal for use?
a) natural gas
Explanation: Char is a better fuel than coal since it has less hydrogen and increases performance by 25%.
10. Which of these is not a property of MHD power generation?
a) has no moving part, so is reliable
b) overall generation cost is less
c) closed cycle has almost no pollution
d) conversion is about 80-90%
Explanation: The overall efficiency of MHD generation is 50-60%.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.