This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Magneto hydrodynamic Plant Basics”.
1.Which of these is not a major direct energy conversion device?
d) fuel cell
Explanation: Geothermal energy is not available everywhere.
2.Which of these is the most promising power generation system?
d) fuel cell
Explanation: Since it is capable of tapping vast potential of modern furnaces.
3. Which of these is not a limitation of conventional energy sources?
a) Resources are limited some are seasonal
b) Most of them emit harmful gases contributing to global warming
c) Situated in remote areas and higher T and D losses
d) requires small areas
Explanation: Conventional energy resources require large areas.
4. Which of these is a conventional source of energy?
c) fossil fuels
d) fuel cells
Explanation: Fossil fuels are conventional sources of energy.
5. Which of these is a non-conventional type of power generation without prime movers?
a) hydro power
Explanation: Thermoelectric power generation of a non conventional type.
6. Which of these is not a type of collector in solar power generation?
a) flat plate
b) focusing or concentrating collectors
c) cylindrical parabolic concentrator
d) hyperbolic concentrator
Explanation: The shape is not hyperbolic but parabolic.
7. Which of these is not a merit of tidal power generation?
a) free from problems of ecology balance
c) no extra submerging of land is required
d) uneven operation
Explanation: The uneven operation is a demerit of tidal power.
8. Which of these is not an effect of distributed generation system on power generation?
a) affects over power generation setting
b) effect in auto reclosing
c) creation of ferro resonance
d) protection from insulation failure
Explanation: Distributed generation system actually causes insulation failure.
9. Which of these is not a component of natural gas?
Explanation: Methanol is not a component of natural gas.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.