This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fuel Cell”.
1. Fuel cell converts chemical energy to electrical energy using a reaction that
a) eliminates combustion of fuel
b) requires combustion of fuel
c) requires no ignition of fuel
d) fuel is not required
Explanation: Combustion of fuel is eliminated in fuel cells.
2. Fuel cell performance is not limited by
a) First law of Thermodynamics
b) Second law of Thermodynamics
c) Third law of Thermodynamics
d) All three laws are applicable
Explanation: The performance of fuel cell is not limited by the Second law of Thermodynamics.
3. For which of these devices does negative charge carriers flow from anode to cathode in the external circuit?
a) MHD generator
b) Thermionic generator
c) Thermoelectric generator
d) Fuel cell
Explanation: The sign convention of anode and cathode is same for fuel cell and batteries.
4. The fuel cell is considered a battery in which ___ is continuously replaced.
a) fuel only
c) both fuel and oxidizer
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: Both fuel and oxidizer are replaced in fuel cell.
5. The type of reactions in a fuel cell is not determined by
a) fuel and oxidizer combination
b) composition of electrolyte
c) materials of anode and cathode
d) catalytic effects of reaction container
Explanation: The catalytic effects of electrodes rather than that of reaction container effects the fuel cell reactions.
6. What is the voltage output of hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell?(in V)
Explanation: The voltage output of hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell is -1.23V.
7. What is the voltage output of carbon-oxygen fuel cell?(in V)
Explanation: The voltage output of carbon-oxygen fuel cell is -1.02V.
8. What is the voltage output of methane-oxygen fuel cell?(in V)
Explanation: The voltage output of methane-oxygen fuel cell is -1.06V.
9. Which of these gases or liquids are not used as source of hydrogen in fuel cells?
Explanation: The only liquid from alcohol series used as a source of hydrogen in fuel cells is methanol CH3OH.
10. The hydrocarbons cracked with steam in fuel cells do not give rise to
Explanation: The cracking of fuel in fuel cells foes not give rise to H2O.
11. Which of these should not be a properties of fuel cell electrodes?
a) good electrical conductors
b) highly resistant to corrosive environment
c) should perform charge seperation
d) take part in chemical reactions
Explanation: The fuel cell electrode should not take part in fuel cell electrode.
12. Which of these fuel cell operates at temperature below 100.C?
a) phosphoric fuel cell
b) solid polymer electrolyte fuel cell
c) molten carbon fuel cell
d) hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell
Explanation: The Solid Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell operates at temperatures less than 100.C.
13. Which of these fuel cells operates at high temperatures and pressures?
a) high temperature solid oxide fuel cell
b) alkaline fuel cell
c) molten carbon fuel cell
d) phosphoric acid fuel cell
Explanation: The Molten Carbon Fuel Cell operates at high temperatures and pressures.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.