This set of Power Plant Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Supercritical Pressure Cycle and Layout of a Stem Power Plant”.
1. Steam is generated in a _____________ boiler at a pressure above the critical point.
b) once through
d) thrice through
2. Apart from feedheating, what should a plant have to obtain a gain in thermal efficiency?
b) Differential heating
c) Reheating cycles
d) Regenerative cycles
Explanation: To obtain a gain in thermal cycle efficiency, apart from the feedheating, there should be multiple number of reheats.
3. The increment in thermal efficiency compared to the corresponding Subcritical cycle is gained at the expanse of?
a) compactness of the plant
b) simplicity of the plant
c) complexity of the plant
d) expanse of the plant
Explanation: The increment in thermal efficiency compared to the corresponding Subcritical cycle is gained at the expanse of complexity of the plant. Naturally, more the complexity, more this increment.
4. Which of the following needs to be incorporated to prevent the low pressure turbine exhaust wetness from being excessive?
a) Double regeneration
b) Double carnotization
c) Double reheat
d) Double cooling
Explanation: Incorporating double reheat is one way to prevent the low pressure turbine exhaust wetness from being excessive.
5. What is the critical point of steam generation in a “once through” boiler?
a) 221.5 bar
b) 221.4 bar
c) 221.3 bar
d) 221.2 bar
Explanation: Steam generation in a “once through” boiler is at the critical point of 221.2 bar.
6. In a typical layout of a 215MW reheat power plant, the feed in the boiler is at?
a) 280 degree Centigrade
b) 230 degree Centigrade
c) 238 degree Centigrade
d) 250 degree Centigrade
Explanation: In a typical layout of a 215MW reheat power plant, the feed in the boiler is at 238 degree Centigrade.
7. The input to the deaerator is from a __________ pressure feedwater heater.
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: The deaerator input is at low pressure feedwater heater and so the working of the deaerator comes into play.
8. The input to the low pressure feedwater heater is from?
a) Drain heater
b) Drain cooler
c) Drain pipe
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: The input to the low pressure feedwater heater comes from the drain cooler which the goes to the deaerator.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.