This set of Power Plant Problems focuses on “Radioactive Decay & Half Life – II”.
1. Commercial power generation from fusion reactor is not yet possible, because
a) it is hard to control fission
b) it is hard to initiate fission
c) it is a non-periodic process
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: The inability of controlled fission makes it tough to enable commercial power generation.
2. First experimental observation of nuclear fission was done by
b) Hahn & Strassman
Explanation: Fermi made the first experimental observation of nuclear fission.
3. Function of control rod in a nuclear reactor is to control
c) fuel consumption
d) absorption of neutrons
Explanation: Control rods control the absorption of neutrons.
4. “Critical mass” is the minimum mass of nuclear fissile material required for the
a) sustainment of chain reaction
b) economic power generation
c) power generation on commercial scale
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: “Critical mass” is the minimum mass of nuclear fissile material required for the sustainment of chain reaction.
5. Which of the following nuclear materials is fissile?
Explanation: Pu-239 is a fissile nuclear material.
6. Unit of Radioactivity is?
Explanation: Curie is the unit of Radioactivity.
7. The ratio of neutrons to protons of an element having a mass number and atomic number of 80 and 40 respectively is
Explanation: Number of neutrons = Atomic weight – Atomic number.
8. Critical energy should be __________ the neutron binding energy of the atom in order to initiate a nuclear fission.
a) less than
b) equal to
c) either more or less
d) more than
Explanation: Critical energy should be more than the neutron binding energy of the atom in order to initiate a nuclear fission.
9. The main ore of uranium is
d) monazite sand
Explanation: Uranium comes from its main ore Pitchblende.
10. Nucleus of tritium has how many neutrons?
Explanation: There are 2 neutrons in tritium.
11. Percentage of natural uranium present in uranium ore found in Jadugoda (Jharkhand) is
Explanation: Percentage of Uranium present in Jadugoda is 0.01%.
12. Coolant present in the primary circuit of a pressurised water reactor is high pressure
a) saturated steam
b) superheated steam
c) saturated water
d) sub cooled water
Explanation: Coolant present in the primary circuit of a pressurised water reactor is high pressure saturated water.
13. Candu reactor is a __________ nuclear reactor.
a) natural uranium fuelled heavy water cooled & moderated
b) highly enriched uranium (85% U-235) fuelled
d) fast breeder
Explanation: Candu reactor is a natural uranium fuelled heavy water cooled & moderated nuclear reactor.
14. Extraction of uranium from its ore is done using __________ methods.
d) physical benefaction
Explanation: Extraction of uranium from its ore is done using chemical methods.
15. Atoms of U-238 and U-235 differ in structure by three
d) electrons & three protons
Explanation: The two atoms differ in the structure only in the number of neutrons.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Power Plant Engineering.
To practice all areas of Power Plant Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.