Pre-requisite / Skillset for Power Electronics Internship
1. Intern should have the ability to analyse AC-AC and DC-DC and DC-AC converters.
2. Ability to choose the converters for real time applications.
3. Should be aware of different types of power semiconductor devices and their switching.
4. Operation, characteristics and performance parameters of controlled rectifiers should be known.
5. Require knowledge on operation, switching techniques and basics topologies of DC-DC switching regulators.
6. Being familiar with different modulation techniques of pulse width modulated inverters and to understand harmonic reduction methods.
7. Operation of AC voltage controller and various configurations should be known.
8. Overview of applications power electronics, different types of power semiconductor devices, their switching characteristics, power diode characteristics, types, their operation and the effects of power diodes on RL circuits.
9. Should be aware of techniques for design and analysis of single phase diode rectifier circuits.
10. Require knowledge on different power transistors, their steady state and switching characteristics and limitations.
11. Should be aware of different types of thyristors, their gate characteristics and gate control requirements.
12. Ability to design, analysis techniques, performance parameters and characteristics of controlled rectifiers, DC-DC, DC-AC converters and Voltage controllers.
13. Must be familiar with characteristics as well as the operation of BJT, MOSFET, IGBT, SCR, TRIAC and GTO and identify their use in the power switching applications.
14. Ability to comprehend the non-isolated DC-DC converters and apply their use in different Power electronics applications.
15. Ability to analyze the phase controlled rectifiers and evaluate their performance parameters.
16. Should be aware of working of single-phase ac voltage controllers, cyclo-converters and their various applications.
17. Should be familiar with single-phase and three phase bridge inverters differentiate between CSI and VSI and apply PWM for harmonic reduction.
Power Electronics Internship Test
Intern has to take Power Electronics internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Power Electronics topic.
1. Which of the following is true in case of a forward biased p-n junction diode?
(A) The positive terminal of the battery sucks electrons from the p-region
(B) The positive terminal of the battery injects electrons into the p-region
(C) The negative terminal of the battery sucks electrons from the p-region
(D) None of the above mentioned statements are true
Explanation: The diode is forward biased, positive is connected to p & vice-versa, as such batter provides EMF to drive electrons from n-region to p-region.
2. A power diode with small softness factor (S-factor) has
(A) small oscillatory over voltages
(B) large oscillatory over voltages
(C) large peak reverse current
(D) small peak reverse current
Explanation: Peak reverse current is independent of S-factor smaller the value of S-factor larger the oscillatory over voltage.
3. In case of a practical p-n junction diode, the rise in the junction temperature ___________
(A) decreases the width of the depletion region
(B) increases the barrier potential
(C) increases the width of the depletion region
(D) width of the depletion region increases but the barrier potential remains constant
Explanation: The rise in temperature excites the charges, which go & recombine with the charges in the depletion region decreasing its width. Higher the temperature, lesser is the E.M.F required to turn on the device.
4. A Schottky diode can be switchd off much faster than an equivalent p-n junction diode due to its
(A) higher operating frequency
(B) no recombination of charges
(C) more compact structure
(D) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Due to the metal-silicon junction there are no stored charges, hence no reverse recovery time due to which the switching is faster.
5. Zener diodes allow a current to flow in the reverse direction, when the
(A) voltage reaches above a certain value
(B) temperature reaches above a certain value
(C) current always flows in the reverse direction only
(D) current cannot flow in the reverse direction
Explanation: Zener diode has voltage regulating property. When voltage reaches above a certain value (Zener voltage), current starts to flow in the reverse direction.
Practice the full set of Power Electronics Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Power Electronics Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Power Electronics Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Power Electronics Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Power Electronics, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Power Electronics subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Power Electronics".
2. Power Electronics articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Power Electronics Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Power Electronics Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Power Electronics Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Power Electronics" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Power Electronics InternshipIf you are looking for "Power Electronics" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Power Electronics, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Power Electronics InternshipWho can apply for Power Electronics content writing internship?
Students who had studied Power Electronics in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Power Electronics.
What are the skill sets required for Power Electronics internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Power Electronics internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Power Electronics Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Power Electronics?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Power Electronics?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Power Electronics. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Power Electronics internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Power Electronics at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
We don't have the required operational setup to work with international students. So, we cannot offer internships to international students at this point in time.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]