This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Thermodynamics – Heat Engines”.
1. In a heat engine heat is converted to work and the process need not be cyclic. True or False?
Explanation: In heat engines heat is to be converted into work. The process is cyclic as we need the conversion of some heat into work for continuously carrying out our desired outcome.
2. If an engine takes 5J of heat energy from a reservoir and rejects 3J to the surroundings, what is its efficiency?
Explanation: Efficiency is defined as work done/heat input.
Work done = 5-3=2J.
Heat input = 5J.
Thus, efficiency = 2/5.
3. An engine works between 2 reservoirs of temperature 500K and 300K. A company claims that this engine of theirs takes 200J of energy from the hot reservoir and rejects 110J of energy. Is this True or False?
Explanation: The maximum possible efficiency is given by:
1 – Tcold/Thot = 1 – 300/500 = 0.4.
The company claims that their engine has an efficiency of (200-110)/200 = 0.45.
This is not possible as maximum efficiency is 0.4.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Physics - Class 11
- Participate in Physics - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Physics - Class 11
- Take Physics - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10