This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Significant Figures”.
1. The length and breadth of a rectangle are 4.5 mm and 5.9 mm. Keeping the number of significant figures in mind, its area in mm2 is ____
Explanation: Area of rectangle is length multiplied by breadth. The area of this rectangle is 4.5×5.9 mm2 = 26.55 mm2.
2. The number of significant digits in 1559.00 is ____
Explanation: The number of significant digits is 6. The zeros after the decimal are also significant.
3. The number 0.005900, in standard scientific form can be expressed as ______
Explanation: Here the number of significant digits is 4. In standard scientific form, we need not consider the zeros after 9 and need to bring the value between 1 and 9 in the first place.
4. Number of significant digits in 0.0028900 is ______
Explanation: The correct answer is 5. While calculating the number of significant digits, we need not consider the zero preceding 2.
5. What is the number 75.66852 rounded off to 5 significant digits?
Explanation: According to the rounding off rules, if the digit to be removed is 5 and the following digit is not zero, then the last remaining digit is increased by one.
Given number = 75.66852
After applying rounding rules, 852 rounds off to 9
Hence, the final answer will be “75.669”.
6. The length of a cube is 2.3 cm. What is its volume rounded off to 4 significant digits in cm3?
Explanation: Volume of a cube is equaled to its length cubed, therefore, required volume = 12.167 cm3. The 67 in the end will be rounded off to 7, hence the final number becomes 12.17.
7. How many significant digits are there in 25.33600?
Explanation: The correct answer is 7. The zeros after 6 in the decimal part are also significant.
8. The number of significant digits in 5.002 is ____
Explanation: The correct answer is 4. All the digits in the given number are significant.
9. The volume of a box, 10 m wide, 4.5m, long and 2.3 m high up to 3 significant digits in m3 is ____
Explanation: The volume of the box is length x width x height = 103.5. This number, rounded off to 3 significant digits becomes 104.
10. How many significant digits are there in 002.5001?
Explanation: The correct answer is 5. The zeros preceding 2 are not significant.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!