This set of Physics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Measurement of Temperature”.
1. Temperature is absolute. True or False?
Explanation: Temperature is a relative measure. When we touch a body we say it is hold or cold. We use devices like thermometers to indicate temperatures but we don’t have any fixed absolute value. When we say that temperature is 25°, it is relative to a reference we have decided like steam point and ice point.
2. What is the slope of line drawn for a graph between temperature in °C & °F?
c) slope is variable
Explanation: °F = (9/5)°C + 32.
Therefore from this we can say that slope of line drawn for graph between temperature in °C & °F is 9/5 = 1.8.
3. Why is mercury used in thermometers?
a) It volume is proportional to square of increase of temperature
b) It shows linear variation in volume with temperature
c) Its volume remains constant with temperature
d) Its volume decreases with increase in temperature
Explanation: For measuring temperature in a thermometer we need a substance whose physical properties change with temperature and can be easily related with temperature. Mercury’s volume increases linearly with increase in temperature and hence we can create a scale on the thermometer accordingly.
4. Temperature is 300K. Convert it into ℉.
Explanation: Temperature in K = 273 + temp in °C.
∴ Temp in °C = 300-273 = 27
°F = (9/5) °C + 32
= (9/5)*27 + 32
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Physics – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Physics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Physics - Class 11
- Participate in Physics - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Physics - Class 11
- Take Physics - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10