Pre-requisite / Skillset for Pavement Design Internship
1. Intern should be able to evaluate and assess the suitability of any pavement material to be used in various components of pavement by conducting required tests as per IS, IRC specifications.
2. Should have the ability to formulate the proportions of different sizes of aggregates to suit gradation criteria for various mixes as per MORTH and also design bituminous mixes.
3. Ability to adapt suitable modern technique and equipment for speedy and economic construction is required.
4. Should be able to execute the construction of embankment, flexible, rigid pavement and perform required quality control tests at different stages of pavement construction.
5. Must be familiar with different materials which are used in pavement construction, impart knowledge about the engineering properties required.
6. Should know how to perform various types of bituminous mix designs as per the guidelines (MORTH).
7. Require knowledge about different highway construction equipment with their suitability and adaptability in various field scenarios.
8. Intern must be familiarized with construction practice and quality control aspects of embankment, flexible and rigid pavement as per the required specifications (MORTH).
9. Should have an idea on possible improvisation in various layers of pavement to increase the structural strength by the use of non basic materials (DLC, polythene sheets).
10. Should be capable of systematically generating and compiling required data for design of pavement (Highway & Airfield).
11. Should analyze stress, strain and deflection by Boussinesq’s, Burmeister’s and Westergaard’s theory.
12. Intern should be able to design rigid pavement and flexible pavement conforming to IRC58-2002 and IRC37-2001.
13. Must be capable of evaluating the performance of the pavement and also develops maintenance statement based on site specific requirements.
Pavement Design Internship Test
Intern has to take Pavement Design internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Pavement Design topic.
1. Subgrade layer is not present in an airport pavement.
Explanation: Subgrade layer is the basic bottom layer that is present in all types of pavements. It is present in highway pavements, airport pavements and railway lines. It forms an important layer for the construction of further layers of the pavement.
2. According to the unified soil classification system, what property do the symbols L, M and H indicate?
(B) Grain size
Explanation: The symbol L represents soil with low plasticity i.e. it has liquid limit less than 35%. The symbol M represents soil with medium plasticity and has liquid limit in between 35% and 50%. The symbol H represents soil with high plasticity and has liquid limit greater than 50%.
3. The ISC system of soil classification consists of a total of 18 groups of soil.
Explanation: The ISC system is the Indian Standard Classification system. It classifies soil into three broad categories, namely coarse grained, fine grained and peat. There are 8 groups of coarse grained soil, 9 groups of fine grained soil and 1 group of peat. These add up to a total of 18 groups.
4. In the vane shear test, the difference between the initial and final reading gives the ______
(A) Angle of failure
(B) Angle of repose
(C) Angle of internal friction
(D) Angle of torque
Explanation: The vane shear test consists of equipment with four steel blades and it is inserted in the sample and rotated at 0.1° per second using torque. The reading before rotating is the initial reading and final reading is taken when the sample fails. The difference between these gives the angle of torque.
5. In a drained test, the drainage is permitted during the application of ______
(A) No stress
(B) Deviator stress
(C) Cell pressure
(D) Cell pressure and deviator stress
Explanation: In a drained test, drainage of the specimen is permitted during the application of both cell pressure as well as deviator stress. It is also called slow test. Drainage is under the cell pressure in case of a consolidated-undrained test. In an undrained test, no drainage is allowed at any stage.
Practice the full set of Pavement Design Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Pavement Design Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Pavement Design Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Pavement Design Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Pavement Design, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Pavement Design subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Pavement Design".
2. Pavement Design articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Pavement Design Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Pavement Design Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Pavement Design Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Pavement Design" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Pavement Design InternshipIf you are looking for "Pavement Design" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Pavement Design, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Pavement Design InternshipWho can apply for Pavement Design content writing internship?
Students who had studied Pavement Design in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Pavement Design.
What are the skill sets required for Pavement Design internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Pavement Design internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Pavement Design Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Pavement Design?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Pavement Design?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Pavement Design. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Pavement Design internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Pavement Design at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
If you are an international student and have a bank account in India, then you can apply. Kindly note that we are currently not authorized to pay the stipend in foreign currencies, so you must have bank accounts in India to receive the stipend.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]