This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Preparation of Carboxylic Acids”.
1. Hydrolysis of CH3CH2NO2 with 85% H2SO4 gives which of the following compound?
Explanation: Hydrolysis of CH3CH2NO2 with 85% H2SO4 gives carboxylic acid as shown in below chemical equation:
2. Acetic acid is obtained when which of the given reaction takes place?
a) Methyl alcohol is oxidised with potassium permanganate
b) Calcium acetate is distilled in the presence of calcium formate
c) Acetaldehyde is oxidised with potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid
d) Glycerol is heated with sulphuric acid
Explanation: Acetic acid is obtained when acetaldehyde is oxidised with potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid.
3. Acetic acid is manufactured by the fermentation of which of the following reaction?
4. When benzyl alcohol is oxidised with KMnO4, the product obtained is which of the following compound?
b) Benzoic acid
c) CO2 and H2O
Explanation: When benzyl alcohol is oxidised with KMnO4, the product obtained is benzoic acid.
5. Which of the following gives benzoic acid on oxidation?
d) Benzyl chloride
Explanation: Benzyl chloride gives benzoic acid on oxidation.
C6H5CH2CI + 2 KOH + 2 [O] → C6H5COOK + KCl + H2O.
6. In the below sequence of reactions, A and B are which of the following?
a) (CH3)2C(OH)CN, (CH3)2C(OH)COOH
b) (CH3)2C(OH)CN, (CH3)2C(OH)2
c) (CH3)2C(OH)CN, (CH3)2CHCOOH
d) (CH3)2C(OH)CN, (CH3)2C=O
7. Formic acid is obtained when which of the given reaction occurs?
a) Calcium acetate is heated with conc. H2SO4
b) Calcium formate is heated with calcium acetate
c) Glycerol is heated with oxalic acid at 110℃
d) Acetaldehyde is oxidised with K2Cr2O7 and H2SO4
8. o-xylene when oxidised in presence of V2O5 the product is which carboxylic acid?
a) Benzoic acid
b) Phenyl acetic acid
c) Phthalic acid
d) Acetic acid
Explanation: The Koch reaction is an organic reaction for the synthesis of tertiary carboxylic acids from alcohols or alkenes.
10. By aerial oxidation, which one of the following gives phthalic acid?
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.