This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Organic Reactions”.
1. Identify the one which does not come under the organic addition reaction
Explanation: Dehydration comes under elimination reaction and hence it does not come under addition reaction.
2. Choose the correct one which will react faster in the SN2 nucleophilic substitution reaction
b) CH2 = CH- CH2 – Br
c) CH2 = CH- CH2 = Br
d) CH= CH2 – CH2 – Br
Explanation: The carbocation character in the transition state causes stabilization of the resonance and hence CH2 = CH- CH2 – Br (2- bromobutane) is the one which will react faster compared to the others.
3. What will be the reactivity of chlorobenzene in an electrophilic substitution reaction with benzene?
a) Reacts very slowly than benzene
b) Reacts in the same way as benzene
c) Reacts faster than benzene
d) Does not react with benzene
Explanation: The rate of the reaction depends on the electron density in the ring and here in this case resonance is not favorable and the electronegativity dipole dominates. This slows down the reactivity of chlorobenzene.
4. Alcohol on refluxing with Cr2O7 gives:
d) Carboxylic acid
Explanation: Alcohol (R-OH), when it is refluxed with Cr2O7, it forms carboxylic acid (R-COOH).
5. Alkene under high temperature and high-pressure forms
Explanation: Alkenes undergoes polymerization reaction under high temperature and pressure to form poly alkanes -(C-C)-n.
6. Identify the one which on reaction with carboxylic acid at high temperature gives Ester
Explanation: Alcohols on reaction with carboxylic acid at high temperature, in the presence of sulphuric acid gives Ester.
7. Select the correct statement regarding carboxylic acids
a) They form acyl chlorides on reaction with PCl5
b) Aldehydes in the presence of H+/ Cr2O7 forms carboxylic acids
c) They combine with alcohols to form esters
d) Upon polymerization, they form polymers
Explanation: Carboxylic acids do not undergo polymerization reaction.
8. Primary alcohols undergo what reaction to form alkenes?
Explanation: Upon elimination or dehydration, the primary alcohols form alkenes.
9. Carbonyl compounds especially ketones undergo reduction to form
a) Primary alcohols
b) Secondary alcohols
Explanation: Ketones in the presence of NaBH4 undergoes reduction to form secondary alcohols.
10. Primary amides get converted into primary amines by:
Explanation: Primary amides upon heating in the presence of hydrogen and nickel catalyst, gets reduced to form primary amines.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.