This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Classification of Organic Compounds”.
1. Organic compounds are broadly classified as
a) Open chain compounds and acyclic compounds
b) Open chain compounds and linear chain compounds
c) Cyclic compounds and alicyclic compounds
d) alicyclic compounds and acyclic compounds
Explanation: Organic compounds are broadly classified into open chain and closed chain compounds.
2. Aliphatic compound is the other name for
a) Acyclic compounds
b) Alicyclic compounds
c) Ring compounds
d) Closed chain compounds
Explanation: open chain compounds or acyclic compounds are otherwise called as aliphatic compounds.
3. Which among the following is not an example of Acyclic compound
Explanation: Cyclopropane is a ring (cyclic) compound and hence it does not come with the examples of open chain compounds.
4. Which among the following is not an example of alicyclic compound
d) Acetic acid
Explanation: Acetic acid is a linear chain compound (acyclic) and hence it is not an example of ring compound (alicyclic).
5. Which among the following is not an aromatic compound(in specific)
Explanation: Pyridine is heterocyclic aromatic compound. Whereas naphthalene and aniline are benzenoid aromatic compounds and tropolone is a non-benzenoid aromatic compound.
6. Find the odd one among the following:
a) Alicyclic compounds
b) Heterogeneous compounds
c) Branched chain compounds
d) Aromatic compounds
Explanation: Branched chain compound is a classification of open-chain compounds. Whereas, alicyclic, aromatic and heterogeneous compounds are sub-classifications of cyclic compounds.
7. Identify the odd one among the following
Explanation: Azulene is a non- benzenoid compound. Whereas, Indene, anthracene, and o,m,p-Xylene are examples of benzenoid aromatic compounds.
8. Organic compounds can be classified even based upon the function groups. Identify the one which is not a functional group
Explanation: Isocyanide is a compound and it is not a functional group.
9. Which among the following is not a class of organic compound
a) Carbonyl compound
b) Nitro compound
d) Electro compounds
Explanation: Classes of organic compounds are those which involves organic compounds such as carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Hence, electro compounds is not a class of organic compounds.
10. Which among these is not associated with aliphatic compounds
a) They contain (4n+2)pi electrons
b) Contain straight chain compounds
c) Contain branched chain compounds
d) Has appropriate number of H-atoms and functional groups
Explanation: The aromatic compounds (4n+2)pi electrons, which comes under the classification of cyclic compounds and hence they are not associated with aliphatic compounds.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.