This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Chemical Bond”.
1. Which among the following chemical bond were described by Kossel and Lewis?
a) Metallic bond
b) Polar covalent bond
c) Coordinate bond
d) Ionic and Covalent bond
Explanation: Both Ionic and Covalent bond arise from the tendency of atoms to attain stable configuration of electrons.
2. Which among the following is not a property of Ionic bond?
a) Losing of electrons
b) Gain of electrons
c) Sharing of electrons
d) Transfer of electrons
Explanation: Ionic bond results from a), b) and d). But the transfer of electrons is a property of Covalent bond.
3. Which among the following formation is not an example of Covalent bond?
Explanation: LiF (Lithium Fluoride) is an example of Ionic bond, as the formation takes place by transfer of electrons and not by sharing.
4. State whether the given statement is true or false “Ionic bonds are non-directional”
Explanation: The ionic bond breaks up when dissolved in water and allow the charged particles to move freely.
5. If a bond is made up of a large number of organic compound, then the bond is termed as?
a) Ionic bond
b) Metallic bond
c) Covalent bond
d) Dipolar bond
Explanation: This is because they have the tendency to transfer electrons.
6. Which among the following is not an example of hydrogen bond?
b) Liquid HCl
Explanation: There is no hydrogen bond in liquid HCl since the bond breaks up when dissolved in water.
7. Atoms undergo bonding in order to ?
a) Attain stability
b) Lose stability
c) Move freely
d) increase energy
Explanation: Atoms undergo bonding to attain stable electronic configuration and to gain energy.
8. An atom differs from its ion in which among the following ?
a) Mass number
b) Atomic number
d) Number of protons
Explanation: When an atom loses or gains electrons its forms its corresponding ion, and hence it differs in proton number.
9. Which among the following is both a molecule and a compound?
a) C6 H12 O6
Water H2O is both a molecule and a compound. This is because the atoms which make them are not the same.
10. Bond energy and the corresponding bond length vary directly with each other. comment whether the statement is true or false.
Explanation: Smaller the bond energy, greater will be the bond length and vice versa and hence the two vary inversely with each other.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.