This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Amides”.
1. When acetamide is treated with HNO2, the gas is evolved which of the following?
Explanation: When acetamide is treated with HNO2, the gas is evolved in nitrogen gas.
CH3 – CO – NH2 + HNO2 → CH3COOH + N2↑ + H2O
Acetamide Acetic acid
2. On heating acetamide in presence of P2O5, which of the following is formed?
a) Ammonium acetate
3. Decreasing order of basicity of the given compound is which of the following?
a) 1 > 2 > 3
b) 2 > 1 > 3
c) 3 > 2 > 1
d) 1 > 3 > 2
Explanation: Comparing the basicity of alkyl amines to amides. With an alkyl amine the lone pair electron is localized on the nitrogen. However, the lone pair electron on an amide are delocalized between the nitrogen and the oxygen through resonance. This makes amides much less basic compared to alkyl amines. And more the stabilization in amide less will be basic, here PhCH2CONH2 will be stabilizes by resonance.
4. By refluxing unsubstituted amide with acid, it will yield which of the following product(s)?
b) carboxylic acid
c) nitrogen gas
d) ammonia and carboxylic acid
Explanation: By refluxing unsubstituted amide with acid, it will yield and ammonia and carboxylic acid.
5. Which one of the following reducing agents is likely to be the most effective in bringing about the following change?
R−CONH2 → RCH2NH2
Explanation: H2−Ni reducing agents is likely to be the most effective in conversion of amide to amine.
6. Ethyl amine on acetylation gives which of the following?
a) N-ethyl acetamide
c) Methyl acetamide
d) N,N-dimethyl acetamide
Explanation: Ethyl amine on acetylation gives N-ethyl acetamide, as shown in given reaction.
CH3CH2NH2 + CH3COCl → CH3CH2NHCOCH3 + HCl
7. Benzamide on reaction with POCl3 gives which of the following?
c) Benzyl amine
Explanation: POCl3 is a dehydrating agent so Benzamide on reaction with POCl3
8. Amides may be converted into amines by reaction named after which of the following reaction?
Explanation: Amides may be converted into amines by reaction named after Hoffmann bromamide reaction.
10. Ethylamine can be prepared by the action of bromine and caustic potash on which of the following?
d) Methyl cyanide
Explanation: Ethylamine can be prepared by the action of bromine and caustic potash on propionamide.
CH3 – CH2 – CO – NH2 + Br2 + 4KOH → CH3CH2NH2 + K2CO3 + 2KBr + 2H2O
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.