This set of Organic Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Acid Chlorides”.
Explanation: Formyl chloride is the organic compound with the formula HC(O)Cl.
2. Benzoyl chloride is prepared from benzoic acid by which of the following?
a) Cl2, hv
b) SO2, Cl2
d) Cl2, H2O
3. When formic acid reacts with PCl5 it forms which of the following?
a) Formyl chloride
b) Acetyl chloride
c) Methyl chloride
d) Propionyl chloride
Explanation: When formic acid reacts with PCl5 it forms formyl chloride.
HCOOH + PCl5 → HCOCl + POcl3 + HCl
Formic acid Formyl chloride
4. Laboratory method for the preparation of acetyl chloride is which of the following?
a) CH3COOH + SOCl2→CH3COCl
b) CH3COOH + PCl3→CH3COCl
c) CH3COONa + PCl3→CH3COCl
d) CH3COONa + PCl3→CH5COCl
Explanation: Acetyl chloride is produced in the laboratory by the reaction of acetic acid with chlorodehydrating agents such as SOCl2.
5. Which of the following gives benzoic acid on oxidation?
d) Benzyl chloride
6. What is the product D in the given reaction?
C6H5CCl3 + C6H5CO2H → 2 C6H5COCl + D
Explanation: C6H5CCl3 + C6H5CO2H → 2 C6H5COCl + HCl
Benzoyl chloride is produced along HCl with from benzotrichloride using either water or benzoic acid.
7. What will be the product B in the given reaction?
2 C6H5COCl + H2O2 + 2 NaOH → B + 2 NaCl + 2 H2O
d) Benzyl peroxide
Explanation: Benzoyl peroxide, a common reagent in polymer chemistry, is produced industrially by treating benzoyl chloride with hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide:
2 C6H5COCl + H2O2 + 2 NaOH → (C6H5CO)2O2 + 2 NaCl + 2 H2O
Explanation: It undergoes the Friedel-Crafts acylation with aromatic compounds to give the corresponding benzophenones and related derivatives.
9. Which of the following is the product B when acid chloride reacts with alcohol?
RCOCl + R′OH → B + HCl
d) Acetyl chloride
Explanation: Alcohols react with acyl chlorides to give esters:
RCOCl + R′OH → RCO2R′ + HCl
10. For synthesis of carboxylic acid, the intermediate product needed is which of the following?
a) Acyl chloride
d) carboxylic acid
Explanation: For synthesis of carboxylic acid, the intermediate product needed is acid chloride.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Organic Chemistry.
To practice all areas of Organic Chemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.