This set of Mechatronics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Elements of Mechatronics System”.
1. Where and when was the word Mechatronics invented?
Explanation: The word Mechatronics was first used in Japan in the late 1960s, spread through Europe and now commonly used in all other parts of the world. In the 1980s there was a veritable explosion in Microprocessor based products.
2. A servo motor is a typical example of _____
a) Electronics system
b) Mechanical system
c) Computer system
d) Mechatronics system
Explanation: A servo motor is a typical example of a mechatronics system. It is a motor with sensory feedback and it is used for obtaining very complex and precise motions.
3. What is the function of an input signal conditioning unit?
a) To produce control signals
b) To amplify the signal and convert it into digital form
c) To perform mechanical work
d) To produce electrical signals
Explanation: Input signal conditioning devices amplify the signals, converts them into digital form, and supplies the conditioned input signals to digital control. Control signals are produced by digital control. Mechanical actuators perform mechanical work. Electrical signals are produced by input sensors.
4. The main mechanical components of a servo motor are stator and rotor.
Explanation: The main mechanical components of a servo motor are stator and rotor. The electrical components consist of field windings and rotor windings, circuitry for power transmission.
5. The main function of Actuator is _____
a) To produce motion
b) Detect input
c) Detect output
d) Detect the state of the system
Explanation: The Actuators produce motion and cause some actions whereas sensors detect the state of system parameters, inputs and outputs.
6. Example of ‘Stand-alonesystem’ is _____
a) Machining centres
b) Washing machine
c) Robots for parts handling
d) Automated inspection stations
Explanation: The example of a stand-alone system is the washing machine. Machining centres, robots for parts handling and automated inspection system are large factory systems.
7. Which among the following carry out the overall control of a system?
a) Graphical display
d) Digital controls
Explanation: The overall control of the system is carried out by digital controls. Graphical display provides visual feedback. The actuators produce motion and cause some actions whereas sensors detect the state of system parameters,inputs and outputs.
8. A humanoid robot is an example of _____
a) Artificial intelligence
b) Stand-alone systems
c) Large factory systems
d) High level distributed sensor microcontroller actuator
Explanation: Humanoid robot is an example of a system that incorporates intelligent control or artificial intelligence. The example of a Stand-alone system is washing machine whereas wire aircraft and automated inspection stations are examples of high level distributed sensor and large factory systems respectively.
9. Where is the feedback generated by sensors in a mechatronics system given?
a) Input sensors
c) Mechanical actuators
d) Output sensors
Explanation: The feedback signal is given to comparator, which compares the desired input signal to the feedback signal to produce an error signal. Input sensor detects the input signal. Output sensors produce the output.
10. A Mechatronics system contains feedback.
Explanation: Feedback signals are generated by sensors of mechatronics system, given to comparators to produce the error signal if any.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Mechatronics.
To practice all areas of Mechatronics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Mechatronics
- Participate in Mechatronics Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Mechatronics
- Take Mechatronics Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10