This set of Manufacturing Processes Problems focuses on “Wire-cut EDM – 2”.
1. In wire-cut EDM process, material removal takes place by a series of discrete discharges between _____
a) di-electric fluid and the wire electrode
b) the wire-electrode and the workpiece
c) the workpiece and the CNC-table
d) wire electrodes
Explanation: In wire-cut EDM process, material removal takes place by a series of discrete discharges between the wire and the workpiece in the presence of a di-electric fluid. Water is commonly used as the di-electric fluid.
2. The di-electric fluid gets ionizes in between _____ gap.
Explanation: The di-electric fluid gets ionized in between the tool-electrode gap and hence, helps in creating a path for each discharge. Because of these discharges, material is removed from the workpiece.
3. The burr or cut particles are flushed away by the______
b) motion of the workpiece
c) di-electric fluid
Explanation: The area wherein discharge takes place gets heated to very high temperatures such that the surface gets melted and removed. The cut particles (debris) get flushed away by the continuously flowing dielectric fluid.
4. Wire-cut EDM (WEDM) process is widely used for _____
a) alloy steels
b) tool steels
c) stainless steels
d) carbon steels
Explanation: WEDM is a non-conventional process and is very widely used in tool steels for a pattern and die making industries. The process is also used for cutting intricate shapes in components used for the electric and aerospace industries.
5. For which of the following materials wire-cut EDM is not used?
Explanation: Wire-cut EDM is used for cutting:
6. WEDM process can be used for cutting hard extrusion dies.
Explanation: This process is used in the following areas:
• Aerospace, Medical, Electronics and Semiconductor applications
• Tool & Die making industries.
• For cutting the hard Extrusion Dies
• In making Fixtures, Gauges & Cams.
7. WEDM process can be used for manufacturing of micro-tools.
Explanation: Following are the few areas where WEDM process is used:
• Cutting of Gears, Strippers, Punches and Dies
• Manufacturing hard Electrodes
• Manufacturing micro-tooling for Micro-EDM, Micro-USM and such other micromachining applications.
8. How many subsystems are there in wire-cut EDM process?
Explanation: The subsystems of Wire-EDM process are:
• Power supply
• Di-electric system
• Wire feeding system
• Positioning system.
9. Di-electric system used in WEDM process is similar to that of the _____ process.
a) conventional drilling
b) conventional milling
c) conventional EDM
Explanation: The power supply and the di-electric system used in WEDM is very similar to that of the conventional EDM. The main difference lies only in the type of di-electric used.
10. In wire-cut EDM, a moving wire is used to _____
a) remove the burr
b) cut complex outlines
c) melt the material
d) make the way for the di-electric fluid
Explanation: In wire-cut EDM, a moving wire is used to cut complex outlines and fine details in the required workpiece. The wire is wound on a spool and is kept in constant tension.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Manufacturing Processes.
To practice all areas of Manufacturing Processes Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!