This set of Manufacturing Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Non-Destructive Testing”.
1. What is the first step involved in the process of preparation of test sample of material?
a) Rough polishing
b) Fine grinding
c) Fine polishing
Explanation: Fine grinding involves grinding of material using silicon carbide as the first step in the process of preparation of test sample.
2. Which of the following compound is used for fine polishing?
a) Aluminum oxide
b) Nitric oxide
c) Silicon carbide
d) Iron oxide
Explanation: Powder form of aluminum oxide is used for fine polishing process. It is surface treatment process.
3. Etching of specimen is done to achieve
a) Visible grain boundary
b) Invisible grain boundary
Explanation: Etching is done to obtain visible grain boundary. It is surface treatment process.
4. Find grain diameter in ‘mm’ for ASTM 12?
Explanation: N = 2n-1 where N is number of grains in an area of one square inch on photo micrograph at magnification of 100X and n is the ASTM number for grain size. Diameter = 10-2/(√(N/645)).
5. Equipment used for inspection of inside portion of hollow chamber or narrow tube is known as
Explanation: Borescope is used for visual of inside portion of hollow chamber.
6. What is the value of average number of grains in per square inch for ASTM 11?
Explanation: N = 2n-1 where N is number of grains in an area of one square inch on photo micrograph at magnification of 100X.
7. Which of the following property will be more in fine grained structure?
b) Corrosion resistance
c) Creep resistance
Explanation: Fine grain structure can be easily made into wire and hence have more ductility.
8. Which of the following property will be more in coarse grain structure?
b) Corrosion resistance
Explanation: Coarse grain structure have highly resistive to corrosion. Coarse grain has larger grain size.
9. Which of the following penetrating liquid is used in liquid penetration test?
b) Chlorine based solvent
c) Petroleum based carrier fluid
d) Fluorine based solvent
Explanation: Petroleum is used as penetrating liquid in liquid penetration test along with fluorescent red colour dye for visible light.
10. Which of the following non destructive testing is used to detect change in composition of any material?
a) Liquid penetration test
b) Ultrasonic test
c) Eddy current test
Explanation: X rays or gamma rays are used to detect change in composition of material.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Manufacturing Engineering.
To practice all areas of Manufacturing Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.