This set of Manufacturing Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Gating design”.
1. In which type of gating system aspiration effect takes place?
Explanation: Aspiration effect takes place in a vertical gating system. Aspiration is the formation of bubble during the molding process.
2. The gating ratio Sprue area: Runner area: In the gate area for non pressurized casting is?
Explanation: The gating ratio Sprue area: Runner area: In gate area for non pressurized casting is 1:4:4. Sprue area is smallest.
3. Which of the following is a type of riser?
d) All of the Mentioned
Explanation: All the above mentioned is a type of riser. Riser can be top at the top portion of design. It can be blind, on the both side or it can be internal.
4. Caine curve is a graph between?
a) Volume ratio and Solidification ratio
b) Volume ratio to freezing ratio
c) Volume ratio to heating ratio
d) Freezing ratio to time ratio
Explanation: Caine curve is a graph between volume ratios to freezing ratio. Caine curve is used to determine exact volume for perfect freezing.
5. To prevent heavier and lighter impurities which of the following system is used?
a) Skim bob
b) Pouring basin
d) Splash core
Explanation: To prevent heavier and lighter impurities skim bob is used. Skin bob does not allow to impurities to reach mould cavity.
6. To reduce the eroding force of the liquid metal which of the following system is used?
a) Skim bob
b) Pouring basin
Explanation: To reduce the eroding force of the liquid metal pouring basin is used.
7. If velocity of metal flow at gate is 4m/sec, volume of mould is .1 cubic meters and the cross sectional area of gate is 0.002 cubic meters then the time required to fill up the mould in seconds is?
Explanation: t = [v/ (a*V)], where v is volume, V is the velocity, a is the area and t is the time taken to fill the mould.
8. If the volume is to area ratio for riser is 2 and for casting it is 4 then the freezing ratio is?
Explanation: F.R = (volume is to area ratio of riser/ volume is to area ratio of casting). It used to get relative value of mould freezing time.
9. Time required to fill the mould by vertical gating system is ______ to bottom gating system?
d) None of the Mentioned
Explanation: Time required to fill the mould by vertical gating system is less than bottom gating system.
10. A mould has a down sprue length of .2 meters. The velocity of metal in meter/second at gate will be?
Explanation: Velocity = √(2*g*h), where h is the length of down sprue, and g is the value of earth gravity which can be taken as 9.81.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Manufacturing Engineering.
To practice all areas of Manufacturing Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.