This set of Irrigation Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Sediment Transport Importance”.
1. The scouring and silting on the river banks raise the flood levels for the particular discharge.
Explanation: The scouring and silting may create sharp and irregular curves. This increases the resistance to flow of the channel and thereby, raising the flood levels for the particular discharge.
2. The phenomenon of sediment transport increases maintenance work and sometimes leads to huge economic loss.
Explanation: This causes large scale scouring and siltation of irrigation canals thereby increasing their maintenance. A poorly designed artificial channel gets silted so badly that they sometimes become inoperable and leads to huge economic loss.
3. Which of the following statement is wrong?
a) The design and execution of flood control scheme is chiefly governed by the peak flood levels
b) Silting of reservoirs and rivers is an important aspect of sediment control
c) The storage capacity of the reservoir is reduced by its silting
d) Natural rivers used for navigation rarely gets silted up posing no cost issues
Explanation: Natural rivers used for navigation frequently get silted up which reduces the clear depth required for the same. This often requires costly dredging due to the sediment deposited in the rivers and harbours.
4. BEAST Stands for _______________
a) Benthic Environmental Assessment Sediment Tool
b) Benthic Environmental Achievement Sediment Tool
c) Benthic Environment Achievement Sediment Task
d) Benthic Erosion Assessment Sediment tool
Explanation: BEAST stands for Benthic Environmental Assessment Sediment Tool. BEAST is one of the sediment erosion devices designed in order to quantify rates of sediment erosion.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Irrigation Engineering.
To practice all areas of Irrigation Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Irrigation Engineering
- Participate in Irrigation Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Irrigation Engineering
- Take Irrigation Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Buy Irrigation Engineering Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Apply for Agricultural Engineering Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs