This set of Irrigation Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Important Barrages in India”.
1. Which famous barrage is built across the River Ganges in West Bengal?
a) Durgapur barrage
b) Damodar barrage
c) Farraka barrage
d) Bhimgoda barrage
Explanation: Farraka barrage is 2.2 km long and carries a rail-cum-road bridge across the river Ganges in the state of West Bengal. Durgapur barrage is also situated on West Bengal but on Damodar River.
2. Which barrage is built across the River Krishna?
a) Grand Anicut
b) Prakasam barrage
c) Jobra barrage
d) Ottakal pick-up weir
Explanation: The Prakasam barrage is situated in the Vijayawada in Andhra-Pradesh on Krishna River serving the irrigation needs of adjoining areas. This is a 1.2 km long river road bridge.
3. Which barrage is situated near the longest river bridge in India?
a) Jobra barrage
b) Shah Nehar barrage
c) New Okhla barrage
d) Bhimgoda barrage
Explanation: Jobra barrage is also known as Mahanadi barrage and is built across the River Mahanadi near Cuttack in Orissa. This is 2 km long road bridge and is situated near the longest river bridge, the Mahanadi road bridge.
4. Which of the following barrage is the last stretch of Godavari River before it drains into the Bay of Bengal?
a) Bhimgoda barrage
b) Mahanadi barrage
c) Dowleswaram barrage
d) Prakasam barrage
Explanation: Dowleswaram barrage is 3.4 km long and is built across the River Godavari in the Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh. This is located near Rajamundry city where the Godavari divided into two streams.
5. The famous Grand Anicut barrage is located on _______________ river.
Explanation: This is located on the Cauvery river from Tamil Nadu state and is situated 193 km downstream of the famous Mettur Dam near Salem. The design flood discharge is 1.8 cusecs serving the irrigation needs of the adjoining areas.
6. Which of the following barrage has the highest design flood discharge?
a) Durgapur barrage
b) Bhimgoda barrage
c) Prakasam barrage
d) Tajewala barrage
Explanation: The design flood discharge of the Prakasam barrage is as high as 33,984 cumecs. It serves three major canals that run through the entire city of Vijayawada. The design flood discharge of other barrages are-
i. Durgapur barrage – 15,576 cumecs
ii. Bhimgoda barrage – 19,300 cumecs
iii. Tajewala barrage – 10,024 cumecs.
7. Which barrage replaced the Tajewala barrage?
a) Farakka barrage
b) Hathni kund barrage
c) Kota barrage
d) Shah Nehar barrage
Explanation: The Hathni Kund is a concrete barrage situated on the Yamuna River in Haryana and it replaced the Tajewala Barrage in 1999 which is out of service now. It diverts water into the Western and Eastern Yamuna Canals.
8. The Ganges Treaty between India and Bangladesh is an agreement to share surface waters at the ___________
a) Farakka Barrage
b) Hathni Kund barrage
c) Mahanadi Barrage
d) Durgapur barrage
Explanation: The treaty was signed in 1996 established a 30-year water-sharing agreement. This was done in order to share surface waters at the Farakka barrage near their mutual border.
9. Pick up the incorrect one.
a) Ottakkal barrage – Cauvery River
b) Tajewala barrage – Yamuna River
c) Shah Nehar barrage – Beas River
d) Grand Anicut – Cauvery River
Explanation: This is a pick-up weir located at Ottakkal in Kerala state on Kallada River. The design flood discharge is 2830 cumecs. It is one of the major points of Kallada irrigation project constructed in order to increase the water level in order to make the river more navigable.
10. Which of the following best the Hirakud reservoir?
a) The purpose is Recreation and fishery
b) Reservoir for irrigation and water supply
c) Reservoir for flood control, power, and irrigation
d) Reservoir for irrigation and power
Explanation: It is one of the first major multipurpose river valley projects and is built across the Mahanadi River in Orissa. The dam was constructed to regulate the flow of the river and produce hydroelectricity through several plants. It irrigates almost 75,000 km2 of land.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Irrigation Engineering.
To practice all areas of Irrigation Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Irrigation Engineering
- Participate in Irrigation Engineering Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Irrigation Engineering
- Take Irrigation Engineering Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Apply for Agricultural Engineering Internship
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Buy Agricultural Engineering Books
- Apply for Irrigation Engineering Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs