This set of Hydraulic Machines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Turbines-1”.
1. Hydraulic energy is converted into another form of energy by hydraulic machines. What form of energy is that?
a) Mechanical Energy
b) Electrical Energy
c) Nuclear Energy
d) Elastic Energy
Explanation: Hydraulic machines firstly convert the energy possessed by water into mechanical energy. Later it can be transformed into electrical energy.
2. In hydraulic turbines, inlet energy is greater than the outlet energy.
Explanation: The operating member which receives energy at the inlet should be more compared to energy at the outlet.
3. Which principle is used in Hydraulic Turbines?
a) Faraday law
b) Newton’s second law
c) Charles law
d) Braggs law
Explanation: A Hydraulic Machine uses the principle of momentum which states that a force is generated which is utilized in a turbine.
4. Buckets and blades used in a turbine are used to:
a) Alter the direction of water
b) Switch off the turbine
c) To regulate the wind speed
d) To regenerate the power
Explanation: Turbines use blades and buckets to alter the direction of water. It is used to change the momentum of water. As momentum changes, force is produced to rotate the shaft of a hydraulic machine.
5. _______________is the electric power obtained from the energy of the water.
a) Roto dynamic power
b) Thermal power
c) Nuclear power
d) Hydroelectric power
Explanation: The energy from the energy of water is also called hydro power. The electric power so obtained is known as hydroelectric power.
6. Which energy generated in a turbine is used to run electric power generator linked to the turbine shaft?
a) Mechanical Energy
b) Potential Energy
c) Elastic Energy
d) Kinetic Energy
Explanation: The kinetic and potential energies produced are converted to some useful mechanical energy. This part of energy is available to the turbine shaft.
7. Hydraulic Machines fall under the category :
b) Kinetic machinery
d) Roto-dynamic machinery
Explanation: Hydraulic Machines use the principle of rotation of blades to alter the speed of water. Hence fall under roto dynamic machinery.
8. Which kind of turbines changes the pressure of the water entered through it?
a) Reaction turbines
b) Impulse turbines
c) Reactive turbines
d) Kinetic turbines
Explanation: Reaction turbines which act on water try to change the pressure of the water through its motion.
9. Which type of turbine is used to change the velocity of the water through its flow?
a) Kinetic turbines
b) Axial flow turbines
c) Impulse turbines
d) Reaction turbines
Explanation: In Impulse turbines, potential energy is utilized to convert as kinetic energy thereby changing the velocity of the water through its process.
10. Which type of turbine is a Francis Turbine?
a) Impulse Turbine
b) Screw Turbine
c) Reaction turbine
d) Turgo turbine
Explanation: Francis turbine is a reaction turbine as it changes the pressure of water through its process. Hence it cannot be an impulse turbine.
11. How many types of Reaction turbines are there?
Explanation: There are five types of reaction turbines namely VLH, Francis, Kaplan, Tyson, Gorolov helical turbine.
12. Turgo Turbine is an impulsive turbine.
Explanation: In a turgo turbine, velocity of water changes with due respect. Hence it is an Impulse turbine.
13. Which kind of turbine is a Fourneyron Turbine?
a) Inward flow turbine
b) Outward flow turbine
c) Mixed flow turbine
d) Radial flow turbine
Explanation: In a Fourneyron turbine, the flow is centrifugal type. The flow is outwards from the centre to the periphery.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Hydraulic Machines.
To practice all areas of Hydraulic Machines, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.