This set of Human Physiology online test focuses on “Endocrine System and Hormones”.
1. FSH and LH are collectively known as _______
b) Antistress hormones
c) Gonadotrophic hormone
d) Emergency hormone
Explanation: FSH and LH are collectively known as gonadotrophic hormone. It is secreted by the anterior pituitary gland. It acts on gonads controlling gamete and sex hormone production.
2. Which of the following is not a heredity disease?
c) Cystic fibrosis
Explanation: Cretinism is a condition of severely stunted physical and mental growth owing to untreated deficiency of thyroid hormone. Cretinism is not a heredity disease.
3. Which of the following hormone is responsible for ovulation?
Explanation: LH is a hormone produced by gonadotrophic cells in the anterior pituitary gland. In females, an acute rise in LH triggers ovulation and development of corpus luteum.
4. Which of the following is a part of endocrine gland?
a) Pars radiata
b) Brunner’s gland
d) Crypts of Lieberkuhn
Explanation: Juxtaglomerulus is a part of endocrine gland. It consists of three types of cells. They are present in kidneys.
5. Who is the father of endocrinology?
a) R H Whittakar
c) Thomas Addison
Explanation: Thomas Addison is the father of endocrinology. In 1921 insulin was discovered and endocrinology became popular.
6. Stress hormone is __________
d) Sex hormone
Explanation: Adrenaline is a stress hormone. It is produced by adrenal glands and certain neurons. It is also known as epinephrine.
7. Which of the following is responsible for sleep cycle movements?
Explanation: Melatonin is produced by a pineal gland and it regulates sleep and wakefulness.
8. Which part of the ovary of mammals acts as endocrine gland after copulation?
b) Graaffian follicle
c) Vitelline membrane
d) Germinal epithelium
Explanation: Graaffian follicle acts as endocrine gland after copulation. It contains a liquid filled cavity and ruptures during ovulation to release an egg.
9. Which of the following hormone is a modified amino acid?
Explanation: Epinephrine is a modified amino acid. It is a neurotransmitter. It increases cardiac output and raises glucose level in blood.
10. Ecdysone is secreted by __________
Explanation: Ecdysone is secreted by insects. It is a steroid hormone that controls moulting in insects and in arthropods.
11. Which hormone produces a calorigenic effect?
Explanation: FSH hormone produces a calorigenic effect. FSH is produced by an anterior pituitary gland and regulates development, growth, pubertal maturation and reproductive process of the body.
12. Which of the following hormone is a steroid?
Explanation: Steroid is an organic compound with four rings arranged in a specific molecular configuration. Steroid included sex hormones, dietary lipid etc.
13. Deficiency of vasopressin causes ________
b) Diabetes mellitus
d) Diabetes insipidus
Explanation: Vasopressin is an antidiuretic hormone. It is synthesized by the hypothalamus. Deficiency of vasopressin causes Diabetes insipidus.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Physiology for online tests, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.