This set of Human Anatomy Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Thyroid & Parathyroid Glands”.
1. Grave’s disease is due to __________
a) Hypoactivity of Islets of Langerhans
b) Hyperactivity of adrenal cortex
c) Hyperactivity of thyroid gland
d) Hyperactivity of adrenal medulla
Explanation: Grave’s disease is an immune system disorder. It results in overproduction of thyroid hormones. The thyroid gets enlarged.
2. Hypothyroidism in adult causes _________
Explanation: Myxoedema is loss of brain function as a result of severe low level of thyroid hormone in the blood. It is life threatening.
3. An autoimmune disease where body’s own antibodies attack cells of thyroid is called ________
a) Hoshimoto’s disease
b) Grave’s disease
c) Turner’s syndrome
Explanation: It is an autoimmune disorder. Immune system attacks the thyroid gland. Thyroid are damaged and can’t make enough hormone.
4. Which type of epithelium is found in thyroid follicles?
Explanation: Thyroid follicles are re3sonsoble for production and secretion of thyroid hormone. They are made up of Cuboidal epithelium.
5. The hormone that controls the level of calcium and phosphorus in blood is secreted by __________
a) Thyroid gland
b) Parathyroid gland
c) Pituitary gland
Explanation: Parathyroid gland is tiny glands. It controls the body’s calcium level. Each gland is about the size of a grain of rice.
6. What hormone does the parathyroid produce?
Explanation: PTH is known as parathyroid hormone. It is secreted by parathyroid gland. It is important in bone remodeling.
7. How many parathyroid glands are present?
Explanation: There are four tiny parathyroid gland present. It weighs about 30mg and3-4 mm in diameter.
8. What are the types of cells found in parathyroid gland?
a) Alpha and beta cells
b) Chiefcells and oxyphil
c) Parafollicular and follicle cells
d) Pituicytes and basophil cells
Explanation: Oxyphil cell is present. Along with that chief cells are also present. Oxyphilcellsappear at the onset of puberty.
9. Where are parathyroid glands present?
a) Posterior surface of lateral lobes of thyroid
b) Posterior to stomach
c) On top of kidneys
d) Upper chest under breastbone
Explanation: Parathyroid glands are endocrine glands in the neck of humans. It is located on the back of the thyroid gland. They are four in numbers.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Anatomy and Physiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.