This set of Human Anatomy Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Ovum & Spermatozoon”.
1. Hormone inhibin is secreted by ______
a) Theca cells
b) Zona pellucida
c) Granulosa cells
d) Corpus luteum
Explanation: Hormone inhibin is secreted by Corpus luteum. It inhibits the production of FSG by pituitary gland.
2. The follicle that ruptures at the time of ovulation promptly fills with blood forming is _______
a) Corpus albicans
b) Corpus luteum
c) Corpus haemorrhagium
d) Corpus callosum
Explanation: Corpus haemorrhagium is a temporary structure formed by immediately after ovulation from the ovarian follicle as it collapses and is filled with blood that quickly clots.
3. Cessation of menstrual cycle is called __________
Explanation: Menopause is the natural decline in reproductive hormones when a woman reaches 40s or 50s. It is absence of menstrual cycle. It is a gradual process.
4. During oogenesis each diploid primary oocyte produces ____________
a) Four functional sperms
b) Four functional polar bodies
c) Two functional eggs and two polar bodies
d) One functional egg and three polar bodies
Explanation: Oogenesis occurs within embryo sac and leads to formation of single egg cell. During oogenesis each diploid primary oocyte produces One functional egg and three polar bodies.
5. Graafian follicle is maintained by ____________
Explanation: FSH stands for follicle stimulating hormone. It is synthesized by pituitary gland. It controls menstrual cycle and production of eggs by the ovaries.
6. The lytic enzyme released by sperm is _____________
Explanation: Hyaluronidase is a type of enzyme which catalyses degradation of hyaluronic acid. It is released to help the sperm to penetrate into the ovum.
7. The cytoplasm surrounding the mitochondria found in the middle piece of sperm is _______
Explanation: Manchette is an array of microtubules that invests in the nucleus of a spermatid. It is believed to play a role in shaping the nucleus during spermiogenesis.
8. Secondary spermatocytes are ____________
Explanation: The main function of spermatocytes is to divide and produce spermatids. They undergo meiosis to form haploid Secondary spermatocytes each receiving half set of DNA.
9. Acrosome of spermatozoa is formed by _____________
d) Golgi complex
Explanation: Acrosome contains digestive enzymes. They break down outer membrane of ovum. Acrosome of spermatozoa is formed by Golgi complex.
10. Nebenkern is the part of ___________
Explanation: Nebenkern is the mitochondrial formation in the sperm. The Nebenkern proceeds to elongate into double stranded helical structure.
11. Middle piece of sperm contains ______________
a) Mitochondria and Golgi body
b) Centriole and Golgi body
c) Mitochondria and axial filament
d) Axial filament and Golgi body
Explanation: The middle piece of sperm has a central filamentous core with many mitochondria spiraled around. It is used for ATP production for the journey into female oviduct.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Anatomy and Physiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.