This set of Human Anatomy Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fertilization of the Ovum”.
1. What occurs when egg and sperm fuse?
Explanation: Fertilization occurs when egg and sperm fuse. Fertilization is the process of fusion of male and female gametes.
2. Which among the following is the cell division without growth?
Explanation: Cleavage is the cell division without growth. It occurs after fertilization.
3. ______ is a term for milk production.
Explanation: Lactation is called milk production. Oxytocin hormone is responsible for this process.
4. Hormones that cause uterus to contact are ____________
a) FSH LH
b) Prolactin and progesterone
c) Estrogen and progesterone
d) Oxytocin and prostaglandins
Explanation: Hormones that causes uterus to contact are Oxytocin and prostaglandin. There are peristaltic movements seen in the uterus.
5. Which hormone is the basis for pregnancy test?
Explanation: HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropic hormone) is the basis for pregnancy test. It is seen in the urine.
6. In the 3rd week embryo begins the implantation.
Explanation: Implantation is a process of attachment of the fetus to the wall of uterus. It is seen in 3rd week of the gestation period.
7. The lining of uterus to which the embryo implants is called as ______________
c) Yolk plug
8. The initial step during fertilization is _________________
a) Penetration of sperm into egg
b) Fertilizin and antifertilizin reaction
c) Formation of fertilization membrane
d) Formation of fertilization cone
Explanation: The initial step during fertilization is Fertilizin and antifertilizin reaction. It reduces polyspermy.
9. Fertilization of sperm and ovum takes place in _____________
a) Ampulla of oviduct
b) Isthmus of oviduct
c) Fimbriae of oviduct
Explanation: Fertilization of sperm and ovum takes place in Ampulla of oviduct. Ampulla is the 3rd portion of oviduct. The word ampulla is from Latin fro flask.
10. The extra embryonic structure that provides nutrition to the embryo is ______________
Explanation: Placenta is an organ that develops in uterus during pregnancy. It attaches to the wall of uterus and baby’s umbilical cord arises from it.
11. Beginning of menstruation is known as _______________
Explanation: Menarche is the first occurrence of menstruation in females. It is the central event of puberty as it signals the possibility of fertility.
12. The main function if fimbriae of oviduct are _____________
a) Help in collection of ovum after ovulation
b) Make necessary changes in endometrium for implantation
c) Release ovum from Graafian follicle
d) Help in devilment of embryo
Explanation: The fimbriae of uterine tube are small fingerlike projections at the end of fallopian tube. Fimbriae are connected to the ovary. It helps in collection of ovum.
13. The process of delivery of fetus is known as _____________
Explanation: Parturition is the process of child birth. The fetus is taken out from the womb.
14. In the absence of acrosome the sperm cannot ________________
a) Penetrate into egg
b) Get energy
c) Get food
Explanation: Acrosome is the part of the sperm. It helps in penetration of sperm into the egg.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Anatomy and Physiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.