This set of Human Anatomy Problems focuses on “Cranial, Spinal & Sympathetic Nerves”.
1. Which nerve arises from the olfactory epithelium and functions solely by carrying different impulses for the sense of smell?
a) II optic
b) IX glossophararyngeal
c) IV trochlear
d) I olfactory
Explanation: Olfactory nerves the first cranial nerve. It conveys sensory information related to smell. It is the shortest cranial nerve.
2. How many Cranial nerves are present?
Explanation: There are 12 pairs of the nerve that can be seen on ventral surface of the brain. They are given roman numerals.
3. Which nerve is primarily a motor nerve that directs the eyeballs?
a) Trigeminal V
b) Vestibuloccochlear VIII
c) Trochlear IV
d) I olfactory
Explanation: Trochlear IV is the 4th cranial nerve. It emerges dorsally from the brain. It helps to direct the eyeballs.
4. Which of the following nerve innervates the muscles of facial expression?
a) VII Facial
b) II Optic
c) Vestibuloccochlear VIII
d) Trigeminal V
Explanation: Facial nerve is the 7th cranial nerve. It emerges from brainstem between pons and medulla. It controls muscles of facial expression.
5. How many pairs of the spinal nerve are found in human?
Explanation: Spinal nerve arises from spinal cord. In humans, there are 31 pairs. They are 8cervical, 12 thoracis, 5 lumbar, 5 sacral, and 1 coccygeal. Each pair connects spinal cord with specific region of the body.
6. The spinal formula in man is _______
a) C8 th12 L5 S5 Co1
b) C7 th11 L5 S5 Co1
c) C8 th12 L5 S4 Co2
d) C8 th12 L5 S2 Co4
Explanation: Spinal nerve is divided into five groups. Cervical 8 pairs, thoracic 12pairs, Lumbar 5pairs, sacral 5pairs, coccygeal 1 pair.
7. Spinal nerve arises from ___________
a) Dorsal and ventral
b) Anterior and ventral
c) Ventral and posterior
d) Posterior and dorsal
Explanation: Each spinal nerve arises from spinal cord by two roots. They are dorsal root and ventral root. Two roots join within the neural canal of vertebral column.
8. All the spinal nerves are mixed.
Explanation: Two roots the Dorsal and ventral join within the neural canal of vertebral column. So all spinal nerves are mixed in nature.
9. Post ganglionic nerve fibers of sympathetic nerve system are________
Explanation: Post ganglionic nerve fibers are long sized axons of neurons of chain ganglia. They have widespread effect.
10. ________ response sympathetic nervous system
a) Rest and restore
b) Fight or flight
c) Decrease respiratory rate
d) Increase respiratory rate
Explanation: Sympathetic nervous system nerves emerge from thoracic and lumbar vertebral regions. Sympathetic nervous system “fight or flight” response.
11. Sympathetic nervous system is formed of _____ parts.
Explanation: Sympathetic nervous system is formed of 4 parts. They are sympathetic trunks, preganglionic sympathetic fibers, Postganglionic sympathetic fibers and collateral ganglia.
12. The nature of outflow of Sympathetic nervous system is cranio-sacral outflow.
Explanation: The nature of outflow of Sympathetic nervous system is thoracico lumbar outflow. It is formed by the pre ganglionic fibres of Sympathetic system which arise from thoracic and lumbar spinal segment.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Anatomy Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.