This set of Highway Engineering Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Traffic Engineering Studies and Analysis – 2”.
1. The annual average daily traffic is calculated by the formula
Explanation: The AADT is given by AAADT=ADT*DF*WF*SF, it depends on traffic, day, season and week.
2. Running speed of a vehicle is equal to
a) Travel speed+ delay
b) Travel speed
c) Travel speed-delay
d) Average of travel speed and delay
Explanation: The running speed of a vehicle is obtained by dividing the distance with time of travel and subtracting the delays.
3. The speed at any instant of time is called
a) Running speed
b) Travel speed
c) Spot speed
d) Space speed
Explanation: The speed at any instant of time is called as spot speed or instantaneous speed, running speed is during travel and average speed of travel is travel speed.
4. Which of the following relationship is correct?
a) Travel speed= running speed
b) Travel speed< running speed c) Travel speed>running speed
d) Travel speed=1.5 times of running speed
Explanation: Running speed is always greater than travel speed as the travel speed always includes the stopped delays.
5. Peak hour factor is expressed in percentage of
Explanation: Peak hour factor is expressed in percentage of AADT; it is used in the design of transportation facilities and major projects.
6. How many types of traffic speed studies are conducted?
Explanation: There are two types of studies conducted for speed, they are (i) spot studies (ii) speed and delay studies.
7. If the distance of a vehicle moved is 25m and the observed travel time is 15 sec then the space mean speed is
Explanation: Space mean speed=3.6*25/15
8. If the space mean speed of a vehicle is 50kmph, then the time mean speed will be
a) Less than 50kmph
b) Greater than 50kmph
c) Equal to 50kmph
d) Depends on the vehicle
Explanation: The Time mean speed will always be greater than space mean speed and it will be greater than 50kmph.
9. If the instantaneous speed of 4 vehicles are 35, 40, 45 and 50 then the time mean speed will be
b) 41 kmph
Explanation: The space mean speed is given by
10. The geometric design in India are designed for
a) 85th percentile speed
b) 15th percentile speed
c) 98th percentile speed
d) 100 percentile speed
Explanation: In India mostly the road geometrics are designed for 98th percentile speed, the upper limit for speed is 85th percentile and lower limit is 15th percentile.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Highway Engineering.
To practice all areas of Highway Engineering for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.