Pre-requisite / Skillset for Geotechnical Engineering I Internship
1. Intern must have knowledge on types of soil and relationships involving the weight, volume and other parameters of soil.
2. Should have knowledge on the index properties of soil which is measure of the engineering properties and classifying the soil based on different classification systems.
3. Must be aware of properties of soil related to flow of water.
4. Should have knowledge on the concept of total stress, neutral stress & effective stress in soil.
5. Familiar with the load deformation concept through compaction process.
6. Should be aware of techniques of soil exploration, assessing the subsoil conditions & engineering properties of various strata.
7. Ability to plan and execute geotechnical site investigation program for different civil engineering projects.
8. Understanding of stress distribution and resulting settlement beneath the loaded footings on sand and clayey soils.
9. Ability to estimate factor of safety against failure of slopes and to compute lateral pressure distribution behind earth retaining structures.
10. Ability to determine bearing capacity of soil and achieve proficiency in proportioning shallow isolated and combined footings for uniform bearing pressure.
11. Capable of estimating load carrying capacity of single and group of piles.
12. Should be able to classify the soil and determine its index properties.
13. Evaluate permeability and seepage properties of soil.
14. Interpreting the compaction and consolidation characteristics & effective stress concept of soil.
15. Able to determine the vertical and shear stress under different loading conditions and explain the phenomenon of soil liquefaction.
16. Interpreting the earth pressure and related slope failures.
Geotechnical Engineering I Internship Test
Intern has to take Geotechnical Engineering I internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Geotechnical Engineering I topic.
1. For a fully saturated soil sample, the volume of voids is equal to _______
(A) volume of air
(B) volume of water
(C) the volume of air and volume of water
(D) the volume of water and volume of solids
Explanation: In a fully saturated sample, the volume of voids gets completely filled by water leaving no air voids present in the sample. Hence, volume of voids equals the volume of water.
2. The range of degree of saturation is between 0 and 0.25 for a humid soil sample.
Explanation: The range of degree of saturation is between 0 to 0.25 for humid, 0.25 to 0.5 for damp, 0.5 to 0.75 for moist and 0.75 to 1 for wet soil sample.
3. The volume of solids in a unit cell is constant.
Explanation: The volume of solids in a unit cell is (π/6) as it does not change with the acute face angle α. Whereas, the total volume of the unit cell varies with acute face angle α.
4. The loosest stable arrangement of equal sized spheres is obtained when the sphere centres form a ______ space lattice.
Explanation: When the sphere centres form a rectangular space lattice, then they form a packing known as cubic packing, wherein each sphere is in contact with six surrounding neighbouring spheres.
5. The water content of soil deposit in the in-situ condition is determinate by ______ method.
(C) calcium carbide
(D) oven – dry
Explanation: The radiation method consists of 2 steel casings. A device containing some radio–active isotope is lowered in one caning and a detector in another. The neutrons emitted by the device are detected by the detector and the loss of energy of neutrons is equated to the water content.
Practice the full set of Geotechnical Engineering I Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Geotechnical Engineering I Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Geotechnical Engineering I Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Geotechnical Engineering I Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Geotechnical Engineering I, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Geotechnical Engineering I subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Geotechnical Engineering I".
2. Geotechnical Engineering I articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Geotechnical Engineering I Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Geotechnical Engineering I Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Geotechnical Engineering I Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Geotechnical Engineering I" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Geotechnical Engineering I InternshipIf you are looking for "Geotechnical Engineering I" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Geotechnical Engineering I, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Geotechnical Engineering I InternshipWho can apply for Geotechnical Engineering I content writing internship?
Students who had studied Geotechnical Engineering I in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Geotechnical Engineering I.
What are the skill sets required for Geotechnical Engineering I internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Geotechnical Engineering I internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Geotechnical Engineering I Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Geotechnical Engineering I?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Geotechnical Engineering I?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Geotechnical Engineering I. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Geotechnical Engineering I internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Geotechnical Engineering I at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
We don't have the required operational setup to work with international students. So, we cannot offer internships to international students at this point in time.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]