Pre-requisite / Skillset for Genetic Engineering Internship
1. Intern should be aware of how to clone commercially important genes.
2. Should know how to produce the commercially important recombinant proteins.
3. Must be aware of gene and genome sequencing techniques.
4. Should be aware of microarrays, analysis of gene expression and proteomics.
5. Must be familiar with topics like gene cloning methods and the tools and techniques involved in gene cloning and genome analysis and genomics.
6. Should be capable of explaining the heterologous expression of cloned genes in different hosts.
7. Must have the ability to compare the different vectors & enzymes used in the construction of recombinant DNA in Genetic engineering.
8. Should be able to choose & explain specific techniques like PCR, blotting & construction of libraries.
9. Knowledge on different gene/DNA transfer techniques is required.
10. Must be familiar with the various methods of producing transgenic organisms and sub-divide/summarize the applications of genetic engineering for the welfare of mankind & society.
11. Should be aware about rDNA technology, vectors and enzymes used in genetic engineering.
12. Require knowledge on specific techniques like PCR, NA hybridization & libraries.
13. Should be aware of various gene transfer techniques, applications of transgenic plants & animals and importance of gene therapy.
Genetic Engineering Internship Test
Intern has to take Genetic Engineering internship test in which they will be asked 50 multiple-choice questions. They have to score grade A or A* on this test to be eligible for the internship. Here’s a sample set of questions on the Genetic Engineering topic.
1. The recognition sequence is at times palindromic in nature. Which of the following statements is correct with respect to it?
(A) The molecules which are cut by the same enzyme, anneal only if the sequence is palindromic in nature
(B) When the molecules are cleaved by the same enzyme and the recognition sequence is palindromic in nature, there is no effect on annealing
(C) There are increased chances of annealing if the recognition sequence is palindromic in nature
(D) The term ‘palindromic’ can be used whether the sequence is read from 5’ to 3’ or 3’ to 5’
Explanation: The term palindromic can be used only when a sequence is read along the same polarity ie either 5’ to 3’ or 3’ to 5’. When the recognition sequence is palindromic in nature, there are increased chances of annealing because now there are increased orientations. If the sequence is non-palindromic in nature, then also annealing would take place but in fewer orientations.
2. How can phosphatase activity terminated prior to a ligation reaction?
(A) By heating
(B) By cooling
(C) By creating vibrations
(D) By alternatively cooling and heating
Explanation: Heating leads to termination of phosphatase activity prior to a ligation reaction because heating leads to the inactivation of the phosphatase activity.
3. Template independent polymerases are the enzymes which add nucleotide bases without a template. Which of the following statements is correct with respect to these?
(A) They only add a single nucleotide
(B) They only add a string of nucleotides and not a single nucleotide
(C) Terminal transferase adds a series of nucleotides at the 3’ end
(D) Taq polymerase adds a single nucleotide at the 5’ end of the PCR product
Explanation: Template independent polymerases can either add a single nucleotide or a series of nucleotides; it is based on the template. Terminal transferase adds a series of nucleotides at the 3’ end, which generates a single stranded tail. Whereas, Taq polymerase adds a single A base at 3’ end of the PCR product.
4. Methylase is useful in cloning experiments.
Explanation: It is useful in cloning experiments because as it methylates DNA, that DNA is protected from that group of restriction enzyme. It means that if we carry out methylation by EcoRI methylase, the DNA won’t be cleaved by the restriction enzyme EcoRI. In cloning experiments, sometimes it is necessary to protect the DNA from cleavage by a particular enzyme.
5. What are the effects of increasing concentration of reaction components?
(A) It increases chances of ligation in both intramolecular and intermolecular reactions
(B) It increases chances of ligation only in intermolecular and no effect on intramolecular
(C) It decreases chances of ligation in intramolecular and increases in that of intermolecular
(D) It decreases chances of ligation in both types of reaction
Explanation: As the concentration of reaction components is increased, there are increased chances of ligation in intermolecular reaction because of frequency of collision of two different molecules increases. The intramolecular reaction is unaffected because the probability of meeting the ends of a molecule remains the same.
Practice the full set of Genetic Engineering Multiple Choice Questions before applying for the internship.
How to apply for the Genetic Engineering Internship
1. Read the Sanfoundry Internship FAQs
2. Take the Genetic Engineering Internship Test
3. Submit the Internship Application Form
3. Genetic Engineering Content Development InternshipsIn this content writing / content development internship for Genetic Engineering, the shortlisted interns would be working towards the creation of "Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs)" OR "Tutorial Articles" OR "Questions & Answers" on Genetic Engineering subject.
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities and guidelines include the following.
1. Interns would be creating Questions and/or tutorials articles on "Genetic Engineering".
2. Genetic Engineering articles must be written with an organized structure with detailed steps and examples.
3. Interns should write clear and concise articles so that the readers can understand them easily.
4. Interns should follow Sanfoundry defined guidelines and format.
5. Interns should report the work status to their mentor on daily basis.
6. Interns should ensure that the content is plagiarism-free.
4. Genetic Engineering Realtime ProjectsDepending on the requirements and availability of free slots, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide industry-oriented, live, real-time projects, or industrial visits for deserving candidates of Sanfoundry accredited college. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
5. Genetic Engineering Research ProjectsIf applicable, Sanfoundry will attempt to provide guidance to interns on "research projects" and "academic projects" so that they can do the necessary study, experimentation, and simulation to arrive at meaningful conclusions. This will help them write "White Papers", "Research Papers" and "Journal Articles" to be published in various eminent journals. Kindly ask your college authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
6. Genetic Engineering Internship Benefits and Perks1. Sanfoundry will issue an internship certificate and a lump sum cash reward as a token of appreciation towards the intern’s contribution to Sanfoundry’s Global Learning Project.
2. This internship with help widen the intern's deep knowledge on the "Genetic Engineering" subject.
3. It will help to boost the intern's resume and also give real-time work experience.
4. Sanfoundry certificate is very useful to an individual in their professional career growth.
5. Most of the shortlisted interns will be working directly under the guidance of our Founder & CTO, Manish Sir
7. How to Apply for Genetic Engineering InternshipIf you are looking for "Genetic Engineering" internship at Sanfoundry, you have to fill an application form. The application form is quite detailed and it allows us to understand the qualities of an intern in a deeper way. So, the best way to fill the application is to allocate 2-4 hours towards reading and filling your application form. You must fill every question seriously and honestly. Also, pay special attention to Grammar and sentence framing.
If you are interested to do an internship in Genetic Engineering, then kindly fill this Application Form.
8. FAQs - Genetic Engineering InternshipWho can apply for Genetic Engineering content writing internship?
Students who had studied Genetic Engineering in their official curriculum or taken a meaningful in-depth external training on this subject can apply for this internship.
What type of work will be assigned to intern in this internship?
Interns would be working towards the creation of "Tutorial Articles" and/or "Questions and Answers" on Genetic Engineering.
What are the skill sets required for Genetic Engineering internship?
We have already mentioned above the technical pre-requisite and skillset required for this internship. Besides, the student should be able to work independently, sincere and hard-working, and a self-starter.
Can I apply for Genetic Engineering internship if I don't have any experience?
Yes. Sanfoundry values skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experiences which demonstrate the technical skills useful in work. So, people with no experience can also apply for Genetic Engineering Internship.
Does Sanfoundry provide Real-time project on Genetic Engineering?
Yes, but we accept a limited number of candidates from Sanfoundry accredited colleges for real-time projects. Where ever applicable we will attempt to provide industry-oriented projects or industrial visits to deserving candidates. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
Does Sanfoundry provide research projects or academic projects on Genetic Engineering?
Yes, Sanfoundry provides ideas on research projects and/or academic projects on some of the topics in Genetic Engineering. Kindly ask your College authorities (HOD / Principal) to connect with us.
How can I apply for Genetic Engineering internship?
Fill this Application Form to apply for internships in Genetic Engineering at Sanfoundry.
9. FAQs - Internship GeneralCan I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes, if you are doing an internship at Sanfoundry, it may be possible to get academic credit for your internship. Since the College authorities issue these credits, kindly check with your department once.
What is the duration of Content Development Internship?
The duration ranges from 1-month to 3-months. The duration can be adjusted based on the academic schedule of your college or school.
How many hours do I have to work as a part-time intern?
If you are working as a part-time intern in Sanfoundry, you would be allocating 3-4 hours/day.
How many hours do I have to work as a full-time intern?
If you are working as a full-time intern in Sanfoundry, you should be allocating 8 hours/day.
What would be the work timings if I get selected?
Work timings depend on you're availability during the day or evening and the type of internship. But you need to report work status on daily basis.
What are the benefits of completing Sanfoundry Internship?
- You will receive an internship certificate and a lumpsum cash reward
- You will gain working experience
Yes, you will receive a confirmation email (with an agreement) from us once you are selected.
How will I know if am selected for the internship?
If you are selected for the internship, you will receive a call/message from us. It generally takes anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks from the date of your application. However, due to a very large number of internship requests, sometimes the response gets delayed further.
What kind of documents should I submit after accepting the offer?
No documents are required to be submitted.
How will I receive the stipend for "Work-From-Home" internship?
Upon completion of the internship, the stipend will be directly credited into your bank account through NEFT/IMPS.
Do we get paid on a monthly basis?
No, Payment is made only when the internship task is completed.
How long it takes to receive the internship certificate and cash reward, after completion of the internship?
The internship closure process usually takes 7-15 working days.
Can I get a recommendation letter after successful completion of the internship?
Upon successful completion of the internship, you will receive an Internship Certificate. This certificate is written in a letter format which is almost similar to a "Letter of Recommendation".
Can international student apply for an internship in Sanfoundry?
If you are an international student and have a bank account in India, then you can apply. Kindly note that we are currently not authorized to pay the stipend in foreign currencies, so you must have bank accounts in India to receive the stipend.
Can I take part in multiple internship programs offered by Sanfoundry at the same time?
No, you can work on only one internship at a time. But after completing the internship you can work on another internship. In fact, a lot of interns keep doing multiple internships with us, one at a time.
Can I discontinue the current internship and join the new internship offered by Sanfoundry?
Yes, you can apply for other internships.
What happens if I discontinue in the middle of my internship?
If the work is partially completed, then Sanfoundry will do the payment on a proportionate basis provided that the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Will I receive a certificate and reward if I didn't complete the internship?
Sanfoundry will give a certificate and a proportionate reward if the intern has completed at least 10% of the work.
Whom to contact if I have more query?
Kindly drop an email to [email protected]