This set of Genetic Engineering Assessment Questions and Answers focuses on “Other Systems”.
1. Secretion of overexpressed proteins by fusion to a secretion signal can be useful because it helps in bringing about correct _______ and _____ protein folding.
a) glycosylation, enhance
b) glycosylation, not affect
c) phosphorylation, enhance
d) phosphorylation, not affect
Explanation: Secretion of overexpressed proteins can be useful because it helps in bringing about correct glycosylation and also enhances protein folding. It also assists in purification.
2. The enzyme used for breaking down of sucrose into glucose and fructose is called as:
Explanation: Invertase is the enzyme which is used for breaking down of sucrose into glucose and fructose. Invertase is used as a secretion signal and is product of SUC2 gene.
3. For introduction of exogenous DNA into S.cerevisiae, ______ is added along with polyethylene glycol and heat shock treatment.
a) calcium chloride
b) sodium acetate
c) lithium acetate
d) magnesium chloride
Explanation: There are mainly three methods which are used for introduction of exogenous DNA into S.cervisiae. Lithium acetate is added along with polyethylene glycol and heat shock treatment.
4. Protoplast transformation is less time consuming than lithium acetate for transformation. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: Protoplast transformation is a method used for carrying out transformation but is more time consuming than method based on lithium acetate. But protoplast transformation gives a higher efficiency than method based on lithium acetate.
5. Schizosaccharomyces pombe is yeast and it reproduces by:
c) either budding or fissing
d) a method of reproduction other than budding or fissing
Explanation: Schizosaccharomyces pombe is yeast which produces by fission but other yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae reproduces by budding.
6. The leu1+ marker encodes which enzyme?
a) orotidine-5’-phosphate decarboxylase
b) beta isopropylmalate dehydrogenase
c) either of the above two enzymes
d) both of the above enzymes
Explanation: The leu1+ marker encodes beta isopropylmalate dehydrogenase. Orotidine-5’-phosphate decarboxylase is another selectable marker and is encoded by ura4+ gene.
7. The replacement of one plasmid by another by introduction of the second plasmid into strain containing the first, followed by removal of the first by counterselection is known as:
a) shuffle vector
b) plasmid shuffle
c) counterselection plasmid
d) combination plasmid
Explanation: Plasmid shuffle is the system where one plasmid is replaced by another via introduction of the second plasmid into the strain containing first. It is followed by the removal of first by counterselction.
8. Promoters can be divided basically into how many types?
Explanation: Promoters can be mainly divided into two types mainly and these are known as constitutive and inducible promoters.
9. nmt1+ gene is used for _____ biosynthesis.
Explanation: nmt1+ gene is used for thiamine biosynthesis. It is the gene from which inducible promoter is obtained.
10. The promoter from fbp1+ gene is suppressed in the presence of glucose. Is the given statement true or false?
Explanation: The promoter from fbp1+ gene is greatly suppressed in the presence of glucose and is activated in absence of glucose. In place of glucose, glycerol is used as a carbon source.
11. Species which can grow on _______ as a carbon source are called as methylotropic.
d) methanoic acid
Explanation: Methylotropic species are those species which can grow on methanol as a carbon source. It induces expression of genes for enzymes such as methanol oxidase.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Genetic Engineering.
To practice all areas of Genetic Engineering Assessment Questions, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.