This set of Gene Manipulation Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Transgenic Technology”.
1. Transgenic technology is particularly advanced in _________
Explanation: Transgenic technology is particularly advanced in mice, where combinations of gene targeting, site-specific recombination and inducible transgene expression make it possible.
2. Inducible transgene expression controls ______ genes.
Explanation: Inducible transgene expression makes it possible to activate and inactivate both transgenes and endogenous genes in a conditional manner.
3. Gene silencing involves ___________ genes.
Explanation: Gene silencing does not involve direct modification of the target gene but rather the expression of inhibitory genes whose products interfere with expression of the target.
4. Which of the following expression allows the control of transgene expression?
Explanation: Inducible expression system allows transgene expression to be controlled by physical stimuli or the application of small modulators.
5. What is used to restrict transgene expression?
Explanation: In both animals and plants, cell or tissue specific promoters are used to restrict transgene expression to certain areas of the organism.
6. In __________ it is useful to restrict transgene expression to mammary glands.
Explanation: In mammals, it is useful to restrict the transgene expression to mammary glands. This is done so that recombinant proteins can be recovered from milk.
7. In plants, it is useful to restrict transgene expression to seeds.
Explanation: It is useful to restrict transgene expression in plants to the seeds. Seeds provide a stable environment for protein accumulation.
8. Drosophila heat-shock promoter is an example of ___________
c) Naturally occurring
Explanation: Most cells respond to elevated temperature by synthesizing heat-shock proteins, which include molecular chaperones and other proteins.
9. Hsp70 promoter of Drosophila, _________ the gene.
Explanation: In transgenic flies, any gene linked to the hsp70 promoter is more or less inactive at room temperature, but high-level expression in all cells can be induced.
10. Inducible promoters do not respond to chemicals.
Explanation: Most inducible promoters used to control transgene expression respond to chemicals, which must be supplied to the transformed cells.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Vector Biology & Gene Manipulation.
To practice all areas of Vector Biology & Gene Manipulation, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.