This set of Gene Manipulation MCQs focuses on “Gene Manipulation in Xenopus”.
1. Gene transfer to Xenopus results in ________ possibilities.
Explanation: Gene transfer to Xenopus can result in transient expression or germline transformation. Gurdo in 1971 first showed these possibilities.
2. Xenopus were first shown to express which protein as a result of gene transfer?
Explanation: Gurdon in 1971 first showed that Xenopus oocytes synthesized large amounts of globin after they had been microinjected with rabbit globin mRNA.
3. Which expression system of Xenopus is used to express a wide range of proteins?
Explanation: Xenopus oocyte expression system has been a valuable tool for expressing a very wide range of proteins from plants and animals.
4. X. laevis is a __________
Explanation: X. laevis is an African clawed frog; oocytes can be obtained in large numbers by removal of the ovary of an adult female. Each fully grown oocyte is large cell arrested at first meiotic prophase.
5. The germinal vesicle is a ___________
Explanation: The large oocyte has a correspondingly large nucleus, called the germinal vesicle which is located in the darkly pigmented hemisphere of the oocyte.
6. MRNA for microinjection into the Xenopus can be synthesized by in vitro ___________
Explanation: Due to the large size of the oocytes, mRNA synthesized by transcription in vitro using phage T7-RNA polymerase can be used for microinjection.
7. The finely drawn glass capillary to be used for gene transfer is the ____________
b) Temperature probe
c) pH probe
Explanation: The process of microinjection is achieved by using a finely drawn glass capillary as the injection needle, held in a simple micromanipulator.
8. The oocyte nucleus of Xenopus contains ______ RNA polymerases.
Explanation: The oocyte nucleus contains a store for the three RNA polymerases, enough to furnish the needs of the developing embryos.
9. Heat-shock promoter can be used to express cDNAs in Xenopus.
Explanation: It is possible to express complementary DNA (cDNA) linked to a heat shock promoter or to a mammalian virus promoter for transcription of injected exogenous DNA.
10. Vaccinia virus vectors can be used for gene expression in ________
Explanation: Various vectors can be used with Xenopus species to lead to gene expression in various locations of the cell. Vaccinia virus vectors are used for expression in cytoplasm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Vector Biology & Gene Manipulation.
To practice MCQs on all areas of Gene Manipulation, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.