This set of Food Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Characteristics and Composition of Food”.
1. Which of the following deals with how food is adjudged by the consumer?
a) Food microbiology
b) Product Development
c) Sensory Analysis
d) Food physics
Explanation: Sensory Analysis deals with how the food is adjudged by a consumer.
2. Industry lobbying, local to international rules, Quality and food safety etc includes which component of the food industry?
b) Financial Services
d) Wholesale and distribution
Explanation: Food regulation ensures Industry lobbying, local to international rules, Quality and food safety.
3. Which of the following does NOT constitute 90% of dry weight of any food?
Explanation: Carbohydrates, fats and protein constitute 90% of dry weight of any food.
4. Which sentence is untrue with respect to the human body?
a) Unconsumed water broken → fats
b) Carbohydrates broken → Sugars
c) Proteins broken down → Amino acids
d) Fats broken down → Fatty acids and glycerol
Explanation: Water isn’t converted into anything inside the body. It is just a carrier and removes toxins from the body via sweat and urine.
5. Which provides energy very slowly?
Explanation: Carbohydrates provide quick energy. Proteins are for body growth. Fibers do not provide energy as they don’t have any calorific value. Hence, fats slowly provide energy.
6. Which of the following is untrue?
a) A gram of carbohydrate or protein contains 4 calories
b) A gram of fat contains 9 calories
c) A gram of fat contains 5 calories
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: 4 calories make a gram of carbohydrate or protein and 9 calories make a gram of fat.
7. Storage requirements and stability, product attributes conductive to product sale etc. The above activities refer to which step of the food industry?
Explanation: Storage requirements and storage stability, product attributes conductive to product sale etc refer to Distribution of food products.
8. With respect to the definition of an allied industry, which is an allied industry with the food industry?
a) Explosives Industry
b) Packaging Industry
c) Jute Industry
d) Leather Industry
Explanation: Non-food components and for marketing manufacturing companies are called allied industries. Packaging industry needed for food packaging is one of them.
9. Food industry is a high volume industry. Hence, any losses may be a major loss to the producer.
Explanation: It is true that the food industry is a high volume industry. Hence, any loss is a major loss to the producer.
10. Increasing agricultural efficiency is the most important way to make sure food production meets the necessity.
Explanation: Increasing the efficiency of agriculture is the most important way to make sure food production meets the demand.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Food Engineering.
To practice all areas of Food Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.