This set of Fluid Mechanics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Most Economic Rectangular Section”.
1. For a channel to be economic which of the following parameters should be minimum.
a) Wetted perimeter
b) Wetted area
c) Section factor
d) Hydraulic depth
Explanation: If the wetted perimeter is minimum, amount of materials required for construction of the channel is less and hence the channel is more economical.
2. A rectangular channel section has depth y and width B, calculate the most economical area of the channel.
3. The depth and widths of a rectangular channel section are y and B respectively, determine the economical perimeter of the section.
4. Calculate the hydraulic radius for the most economical rectangular section having depth y and width B.
5. Calculate the maximum discharge through a rectangular channel having depth 3m, bed slope of 1 in 1000.
6. Calculate the maximum discharge through a rectangular channel having width of 5m, bed slope of 1 in 500 and manning’s co efficient is 0.020.
7. The maximum discharge through a rectangular channel is 7.15m3⁄s, determine the depth of the channel where S0 = 1/2000 and C=40.
8. The base width of a most economical rectangular channel is 8m, calculate the hydraulic radius of the channel,
Explanation: B = 2y; y = 4m
R = y/2 = 2m.
9. Calculate the section factor for the most economical rectangular section having depth of 4m.
Explanation: Z = A√D = 2y2 √y = 2y5/2
Z = 64.
10. The ratio between maximum discharge and top width of a rectangular channel is 91:50, calculate the depth of the channel if the bed slope is 1 in 3000 and C = 50.
11. The ratio between normal discharge and maximum discharge through a rectangular channel is 32:6, calculate the depth of the channel if the width of the channel is 4m and bed slope, chezy’s constant remains same.
12. The hydraulic radius of an economical rectangular section is 4m, calculate the discharge through the channel if the bed slope of the channel is 1 in 1000 and manning’s co efficient is 0.015.
d) 710 m3⁄s
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Fluid Mechanics.
To practice all areas of Fluid Mechanics, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.